5 Creative Nail Designs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Creating nail designs is something I love to do! Painting your nails is a great way to relax after a long day of classes, and nail designs are a wonderful way to express your individual personality and style. I’ve compiled some of my personal designs for you, and I hope you are inspired by them!

This first one was just a fun design I created by happenstance. I just let my creativity flow, and knew I wanted to use bright colors. This combination turned into one of my favorite designs! A fun fact about this picture: it is on my Pinterest page and has 90 re-pins and 16 likes.

These nails started out as white with mint green and light pink designs, but the design did not initially go the way I planned. So, to mix it up, I put purple crackle over top of the first layer. This turned my nails from disaster to delightful! Crackle is fantastic! 

Who doesn’t love the minions? Between their crazy antics and love of bananas, I adore those little yellow guys. I love doing character nails. I practiced this design on one of my friends, who is always willing to play test dummy for me. With the release of Despicable Me 2, these minions have become even more popular! It’s just a fun design to use for any occasion.

These nails were inspired by the sea. I love using as many different colors as possible. I started with a light blue under layer and then layered darker colors to create a water effect. I added gold glitter to look like sand and an anchor to tie into the “under the sea” theme. This design would be perfect for a vacation or a trip to the beach! (Or, maybe, if you’re just really in the mood to watch “The Little Mermaid.”)

These are a traditional design I like to use! As you can see from the picture, they are French tips with a simple design on each nail. When I do other people’s nails, these are a very popular choice. This design is classy, yet fun! It’s basically a way to jazz up the typical “French tips” look. 

I hope these designs give you a few ideas for the next time you paint your nails! But don’t worry, even a simple solid color is a great way to accent your outfits!