10 Reasons You Should Attend Saturday’s Football Game

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Our very own John Carroll football team has made it into the NCAA Division III playoffs! Not only that, we’re lucky enough to have this game on our own field. In case you were thinking of skipping, I’m here to give you some reasons why that is a TERRIBLE decision. So, break out your hat, gloves, boots, and get ready for some Blue Streak football!

1. People worked hard to clear the stands

Seriously. There were people with shovels chiseling snow and ice out of the bleachers and trucks moving the piles of snow and ice to locations outside the stadium. If we don’t #PackShula that hard work will go to waste!

2. It’s going to be 45°

We’ve been cooped up all week because of below freezing weather. It’s finally going to rise above freezing for a few days, and we need to enjoy it while it lasts! So, come out of hibernation for a few hours and enjoy the entertainment that’s right in our backyard!

3. School Spirit

I know that in high school I loved going to football games. The sense of camaraderie and pride among your school gave you that warm fuzzy feeling inside. Well, you can get that again. Come down and cheer on your school to give you the same warm fuzzy feeling you got in high school.

4. It’s more fun with more people!

The more people show up, the more fun the game is for everyone. When more people are there we have more people cheering and interacting. It creates an electric energy at the game, and it’s so much fun to be around. So grab a group of your friends and go crazy for Carroll. The more energy everyone puts into the game, the more energy everyone gets back.

5. It’s at the perfect time

The game starts at noon so it is at the perfect time of day. It’s late enough that you can still sleep in until 11 but it doesn’t take up your entire day. You’ll be out in time to have a completely productive day after the game is over. You’d even have enough time to take a nap to rest up for the evening if that’s what you’re into. Bottom Line: it’s not going to take over your entire day.

6. It’s exciting

We’re good, obviously, because we’ve made it this far. When you go to a good game it really gets your adrenaline pumping. It’s exciting to watch two good teams play each other, and when it’s your own school it’s even better.

7. Study Break

It’s a crazy time. The idea that you’re on the semester’s home stretch is finally settling in. You have a ton to do, especially if you want to even think about relaxing over the Thanksgiving break. Take a study break in the middle of the weekend. It will take your mind off whatever’s stressing you and help reboot your system to start over later. You’ll be more productive in the long run!

8. College Experience

College football games are an essential part of the college experience for lots of reasons (see camaraderie from no. 3). Saturday will be your last opportunity of the year to see a game at home.

9. Entertainment without having to drive

Having to drive anywhere for entertainment can be a pain. Lucky for you, there is no driving involved in coming to the game Saturday. Just walk across the street and you’re there. The other upside of this, of course, is that you can wake up at the absolute last second if you want and take your sweet time getting over there.

10. It’s Playoffs!

Seriously! We are 1 of only 32 Division III teams that have made it this far, AND we get to host the game. This opportunity rarely presents itself, and it’s important to take it while it’s available.

I think the better question here is why WOULDN’T you go? See you there! 

Junior Integrated Marketing Communications major and Psychology minor. Fan of Netflix and her smartphone.