freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Why You Should Take Breaks from Dating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

In the world we live in today, it seems like everyone is constantly posting photos with with their significant other and posting or tweeting about how amazing their significant other is. It can be annoying at times, especially when you don’t have a partner to talk about and be with. Often times, it may seem like you need a partner in order to feel complete or you should at least be talking to someone because everyone else seems to be doing the same.

Photo by freestocks.org

Although it may seem like a good idea to jump into dating or talking to someone, there are some things you should consider before you take that leap. If you use dating apps, for example, you have to choose what dating app to use and what you are going to be looking for in a dating app. Some people use them to look for fun or something short term with no commitments. Others want something more serious, so it’s important to communicate your wants and needs if you are trying out apps or talking to people that you met in-person. You should consider what state of mind you are in when dating someone. Are you in a calm, happy state of mind, or are you leaving one relationship and going directly into a new relationship? It’s also hard to go into a relationship if you’ve dealt with abuse or manipulation because it’s harder to trust someone you care about because they might do more wrong to you.

Photo by Miguel Bruna 

The point is, sometimes it’s better to stop dating and focus on other important things in your life. Yes, we all want to find our person one day, but sometimes you have to wait longer than expected. Yes, there is also the possibility that you may never find a person, and you know what: that’s okay too. Just because you don’t find someone to spend the rest of your life with, doesn’t mean anything is wrong with you or that you’re a bad person. It means that maybe you’re perfect just the way you are and that you don’t need a partner to tell you that. Being in a relationship means having to make sacrifices sometimes, having to worry about where your partner is or what they are doing. Your life is also a lot more drama-free without a man or woman in your life. For me personally, I want to focus on myself and getting better, both physically and mentally. I want to be able to support myself when life gets tough and feel more confident in myself and my abilities– I don’t want somebody to tell me if I’m attractive because I want to know that I already am and that they’re missing out. If you take a break from dating, you should instead use that to focus on other areas of your life and once you’re ready to go back in, you won’t be having to take crap from anybody and know your worth. All women are beautiful and you should never let anybody tell you otherwise.

I am a junior at IUP who hopes to one day major either in Public Relations or Political Science with an obsession with music.