This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Merriam-Webster’s definition of a ‘jerk’: an unlikable person; especially: one who is cruel, rude, or small-minded. Jerks are self-centered and immature but there is something about a bad boy that every girl secretly adores. It could be his cockiness, confidence, or that he’s simply a challenge. The thought of having something you can’t have is almost like an adrenaline rush. If the guy is emotionally unavailable and the girl can change him from being a bad boy to a sweetheart, it feels like a big accomplishment.

Nice and sweet girls fall for bad guys all the time because they believe that they can change him or that he couldn’t treat her bad because she is full of love. Even with all of the signs in front of her—she continues to care. When it comes to love and feelings many bad boys shy away from it by being a jerk, because they are afraid of rejection—maybe even more than girls. Being rejected is an ego drop for guys. Just the thought of opening up their heart and it possibly being broken is a nightmare for them.

[pagebreak]

To avoid having their hearts broken they adopt the role of a “bad boy”. It’s all a façade of confidence. Breaking girls’ hearts and being an idiot to all females makes them feel superior. The reason good girls like bad guys is because they know that a lot of girls love these guys and take full advantage of it by combining those behaviors with an appearance of brokenness. The good girl that sees (or tries to see) good in everyone wants to think she can fix his brokenness and be the one he falls for. Chances are she won’t be able to do so. 

Understanding what us girls want will be an everlasting task. We want the bad boy exterior with the nice guy interior. Nice guys generally tend to be seen as push overs and appear to the girl as weak. She wants to know she has a strong guy there when she’s in danger or needs help. The nice guy wants to really get to know the girl, treat her right and possibly fall in love. The nice guy can win but it takes longer to win the good girl over.  Unfortunately, many girls aren’t used to a prospective boyfriend treating her nice and wanting to just get to know her. Sometimes it looks kind of suspect, because it can be hard to believe that a guy just wants to get to know the real you.

Trying to change a person, especially a guy that is already set in his ways is a difficult task. He has to want to change. You could be the sweetest girl but you can’t make him change if he is not ready to. So instead of chasing that ever elusive Bad Boy-try your hand at a Good Guy instead. 

images courtesy of 

buzzpirates.com

allstarpics.net