What You Need VS. What You Don’t Need At College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

On social media we tend to see all of the “college essentials” that our generation suggests we absolutely need. As a senior in college, I can tell you, there are obviously essentials that you will need, but some stuff that you can probably go without. I am going to list my top five things that I believe are essential, and a few things that I don’t think are necessary.

What You Need:

1. Laptop – Computers can be expensive which can make it hard to find the right one for uni; however, even if it’s not a “name brand” doesn’t mean it won’t be a valuable tool and resource! Any laptop is necessary for students at uni to stay organized. 
  2. Backpack – Having a bookbag to carry around on campus is essential to stay organized, and to have a place where all of your school supplies can stay. Some supplies you can include are, but not limited to:
    1. Pencils / Pens
    2. Planner
    3. Notebooks
    4. Textbooks
    5. Folders / Binders
    6. Highlighters
    7. Post – Its
  3. Planner: Having a planner is a great way to keep track of your class schedule, assignments, and day-to-day life! Personally, I love having a physical planner, because when I write something down it helps me retain it. If you are not a “writing” type person, there are apps you can download on your phone or computer that act as a planner to stay organized
  4. Water Bottle – If you’re like me and are a water bottle girly, it’s nice to carry a water bottle around on campus while walking from class to class. I’m not saying to go out and buy an expensive Tumblr, but just a cute, simple one from Walmart is suitable. 
  5. Earbuds / Headphones – Now these are something you may not need per se, but they are nice to have while walking around campus or studying in the library. Listening to music, at least I know for me, can be comforting and motivate me to stay on track. 

What You Don’t Need:

1. Your Entire Closet – I love clothes just as much as the next girly, and I was one of those people who brought my whole closet my first year. I ended up wearing the same few outfits every week, and didn’t wear half of what I brought. Plus, it’s nice to have stuff to wear when you’re at home for a weekend. Trust me, only bring what you know you’ll wear, this goes for shoes too. 
  2. Printer – Although it can be nice to have your own printer, as a broke college student it can be tricky to keep up with the costs of printer paper, ink, and all that stuff. When I first started college, I always wanted to have my own printer because I like to have paper copies of assignments and syllabi; however, it has saved me so much money in the long run.
  3. TV – If you’re in a dorm room, it is nice to have a television in your room, but it’s not like you need one. I’ve never had a TV in my apartment at school, and it hasn’t bothered me too much. I watch Netflix, Hulu, & other shows on my laptop or cell phone, and it saved me so much money!
  4. Car – I thought it was the end of the world when I didn’t have my car at uni, but trust me it all worked out. There are plenty of ways to get transportation through the school, or new friends!
Emily Beyer is a writer at the Her Campus Chapter at IUP. Beyond Her Campus, Emily works at a local elementary schools after school program and oversees a group of K-2 graders. She has been to many professional development conferences to further her studies in education. Emily is a senior at the Indiana University of Pennsylvania majoring in Early Childhood & Special Education. In her free time, Emily loves to write, shop, watch Grey's Anatomy, and listen to podcasts. Also, she enjoys going to the gym and working out as a distraction from her studies.