What to do This Summer Other Than Work

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Every college student can’t wait for summer break to have endless time in the sun with friends and family and of course vacation! But what do you do when the fun subsides? As a college student it is crucial for students to use their break wisely and work on escalating your resume with career-related experience.

The job hunt can become more and more competitive, and students can initially struggle with finding a full-time job after graduation in their chosen field. Using breaks in between semesters to be productive maximize your chances of getting hired by 65%.  Here is a short list of the possibilities for this summer:

Internships 

Interning is the number one activity that college students can do to increase chances of getting hired full-time after graduation. Internships give students a high advantage, and even though they can be hard to obtain at times depending on your career choice, any type of experience can help.

Internships can lead to future employment at the same organization. Internships help build students build professional relationships outside of class. For more help on internships and maybe even obtaining one check out internships.com.

Academic Studies

If you like to keep your brain active, consider taking some summer classes! If you don’t want to be home during the summer, see what your school has to offer. Online classes or your local community college is a great alternative. Just remember that with community college you have to make sure that the credits will transfer to your university.

Another great alternative if you’re an upperclassman is an independent study or fellowship. Fellowships have to do with working closely with professionals in your field—similar to an internship. An independent study is a project done independently outside of normal class lectures.

Volunteer

Volunteering is always a great way to keep busy during the summer. Not only is it a way to boost your resume, it also makes you feel wonderful by helping others. While volunteering you get to meet others with the same interests as you and that can lead to positive network connections.

Companies look for employees that are well rounded. Volunteer service gives you a chance to show what else you can offer and how you can relate it to what you want to do.

Individual Project

Sometimes you just have to take matters into your own hands. If you don’t obtain an internship in your area of interest or a fellowship—do it yourself. Do something in your career field or hobby or activity that interests you. By actively pursuing your interests it will surely impress future employers.

Projects such as these can open up plenty of new opportunities. It’s a way to learn more about yourself and your strengths. You show initiative and show your talents beyond your resume.

Self Improve 

If you don’t want to focus on your academics during summer break, consider working on yourself. There is always room for self-improvement. For example, say you want to improve your looks. Take a day to pamper yourself by going to a local spa. Getting pampered and dressed is definitely a way to improve self-confidence as well.

Another way to improve is to read. Reading is definitely fundamental. Read a book on your interests and hobbies or even on how to improve yourself! A suggestion for this summer is Robert Greene’s The 48 Laws of Power. This book is an excellent read; lengthy, but good.

So there you have it Collegiettes, a few ways to spend your summer if you’re not working. Good Luck!

Images courtesy of

Time4thinkers.com

cedar-rapids.com

people-equation.com