Ways to be Productive Over Thanksgiving Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

With Thanksgiving break approaching quickly, most of us probably feel a huge sense of relief to finally get some time off from the pressure and demands from school. With that being said, it’s very easy for us to fall into a habit of doing nothing during that time off, especially if you don’t plan on working over break. If you happen to get bored or feel yourself doing nothing but watch Netflix, here’s some ways to be some-what productive.

1. Catch up on school work or get ahead on projects and assignments for school

(Photo by Tyler Nix)

This doesn’t mean you overload yourself with schoolwork during your time off, because all of us could use a break, but try to plan on working on some assignments or projects so you can eliminate some stress for the rest of the semester.

2. Exercise!

Get a head start on that News Years Resolution of working out more. Plus, I’m sure we’ll all be stuffing our faces on Thanksgiving, so why not spend some of our free time exercising? You don’t need a gym membership or any fancy equipment or weights. Take a walk or jog outside or look up some workouts you can do at home without equipment. Tip: Pinterest has tons of workout ideas so check it out! Check out this Buzzfeed article which provides lots of different home workouts you can do without any equipment at all!

(Photo by Emily Sea)

3. Start a new book—for pleasure.

(Photo by Ksenia Makagonova

The last thing you’ll want to do is read out of your textbook for class while you’re on break, but if you’re into reading for pleasure, this is a perfect time to pick up a new book. Reading will keep you in the habit for school, but also makes it pleasurable since it’s not a dreadful textbook for class that you’re forced to read.

4. De-clutter and get organized.

(Photo by Adrienne Leonard)

Go through old clothes and stuff you don’t have any use for, and either donate it or throw it out. You can try to sell clothes you don’t wear anymore online, many digital marketplaces such as Poshmark.com, Ebay.com, Amazon.com, Letgo.com, and Mercari.com are extremely beneficial and I’ve had a lot of luck with it; I’ve sold over $300 worth of clothes on Poshmark over the summer!

5. Eliminate stress.

(Photo by Jeremy Bishop)

It’s break, you’ve earned it! Whether that means taking a hot bath at home and lighting some candles, cooking your favorite meal that you never have time to up at school, watching your favorite shows, or spending time with family and friends, just do something that makes you happy!

Remember to not only try to stay some-what productive over break, but also do things that make you happy and are stress-free. Fall semester can be very demanding and everyone has so much to do, so use this break as a time to relax and recuperate. Share with us some things you plan on doing over this upcoming break! 

"I would rather die of passion than of boredom." -Van Gogh