This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

If you have ate at the dining hall then you know exactly what I am about to talk about. There are some things that everyone does, but it is just a norm and isn’t really thought about. These are some of the unspoken rules of the dining hall:

Nobody touches your stuff

I can confidently say that I have never questioned my laptop or bookbag being left while I go get food. If I don’t catch someone stealing, the people surrounding me are bound to speak up or at least see what happened and help get the person that did it.

Watch other peoples stuff

Like I said above, I watch others stuff when they go up. We are supposed to be out here supporting one another, why wouldn’t you just take a glance every couple minutes real quick? If something sketchy comes up, we can let them know or even prevent it.

headphone wearers are vibing, leave them alone!

A lot of people are judgmental to people eating by themselves. I, in fact, am watching wife swap and do not want to pause. Please don’t take pictures of these people or make fun of them. If they are eating alone out of lack of friends, it’s not cool of you and how do you think they feel?

Make a friend out of a stranger

When someone is eating alone, more chances out of them all if you sit next to them, they will not mind. Sometimes people just want to be left alone like I said but sometimes I wish someone sat with me randomly.

Like I said, if you have eaten at the dining hall then you know exactly what I mean. If you haven’t yet, then remember these and live by them.

Alicia is an aspiring doctor. She intends to graduate from IUP in 2022 and attend Medical School directly after to become a medical doctor specializing in pediatrics. She enjoys watching movies, hanging with friends, and community service. She is a dog lover and has a pug names Porky that makes her smile on her worst days. Family is everything to her as you probably have read.