This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

In high school, I was a part of the color guard in the marching band, and it was something that I enjoyed. Being on the field, under the lights with the screaming fans waiting for the game to start. Last Friday was our alumni night where people from previous years come back and participate in the pregame before the game starts. It was so awesome getting to see old friends that I have not talked to since graduation and catch up with them. I love being on the football field and the vibe of it all. The best was the away football games, where we just had the best time laughing and singing at the top of our lungs. The marching band itself was my second family. 

When I was in high school, I did not have many friends because I was shy. Being involved with the color guard gave me a sense of purpose because I was good at what I loved doing, and was able to “not be shy.” When I came to college, I did not get involved with the marching band because of how crazy my schedule was. It made me so sad because of how much I looked forward to Friday night football games that I would not have that to look forward to each week. I made some of my closest friendships while being in the marching band. Getting to experience it all again last Friday night made me feel so good, because I miss it so much, that sometimes I wish I still did it. However, I still have the experience and all of the memories to hold onto to think about when I start to miss it.  

Emily Beyer is a writer at the Her Campus Chapter at IUP. Beyond Her Campus, Emily works at a local elementary schools after school program and oversees a group of K-2 graders. She has been to many professional development conferences to further her studies in education. Emily is a senior at the Indiana University of Pennsylvania majoring in Early Childhood & Special Education. In her free time, Emily loves to write, shop, watch Grey's Anatomy, and listen to podcasts. Also, she enjoys going to the gym and working out as a distraction from her studies.