This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Fun fact: I absolutely love this time of year, starting with Halloween and ending right after News Year’s Day. The holidays are so joyous and fun, I can’t help but love them. Here’s a list of the top 10 things that I think you should try this holiday season. 

Number 1 – Reconnect

This time of year is a perfect opportunity to reconnect with all of your loved ones and yourself! Life is stressful and hectic, and you’re not alone if you lose touch with yourself along the way. Take this festive and uplifting time to regroup and care for yourself and those around you. If you need to just focus on you and not the others, that’s okay too!

Number 2 – Sleep! 

I don’t know about you, but I’m tired. This time of year, which typically includes a break from work and school, is a great time to catch up on sleep without daunting tasks weighing on your mind. I don’t often nap, but I find them so enjoyable when it’s cold outside and I’m covered in blankets in my room that smells like apple cinnamon. These cozy naps can help reduce stress by clearing your mind and boosting your mood. Sometimes a little break for our bodies and minds is all we need to be feeling like ourselves again. 

Number 3 – Have fun! 

I really enjoy spending time with my family, friends, and pets, as well as shopping, watching movies, and reading. Since the holidays provide me with some free time, a huge excuse to shop, and gifts that are oftentimes books, I take this opportunity to engage in some of my hobbies that get away from me in the midst of the business. Whatever you like – whether it’s going for a run, trying new things with your hair, or binge watching Netflix shows – I don’t think you’ll regret engaging in them over your break. 

Number 4 – Clean

I know this isn’t as fun as the others, but I find this time of a year an excellent time to clean up the house. You’re already taking things down to put up Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas, or other kinds of decorations anyway, so why not wipe the dust away and clean the windows while you’re at it. I sound like my mom. Speaking of her, she always decorates our house really cutely, so I don’t mind spending some extra time indoors to get my cleaning done. Plus, you need a clean place to do whatever makes you smile!

Number 5 – Be Inclusive 

Not everyone has the same religious beliefs, traditions, or practices as you do, and that’s more than okay! Try to practice mindfulness as you come in contact with people this holiday season (and always) to avoid misidentifying or offending people. Differences should be celebrated, not ignored! “Happy Holidays” is always a great greeting to use this time of year. 

Number 6 – Compassion; Not so Holly Jolly

Mental illness is a very common circumstance in our society. People are fighting difficult battles, and maybe getting into the holiday spirit just isn’t possible right now. Putting pressure in the form of snarky comments, offensive questions,  or open confusion onto those who are struggling is not going to make them any happier. Try to uplift others, but also remind yourself and them that not being okay is valid any time of the year. Be here to help, not ridicule. 

Number 7 – Eat!

The holidays are full of delicious foods of all kinds, many of which aren’t common during other parts of the year. For example, my family hardly ever has turkey or beets on a day that’s not Thanksgiving, and we unfortunately don’t tend to make Christmas cookies all year round. Indulge in the yummy things around you while they’re here! January 1st is when universal dieting starts, remember? 

~ I know eating can be a sensitive topic. I hope all of you are able to enjoy yourselves. Just do what’s best for you. 

Number 8 – Christmas Movies 

I for one absolutely love Christmas movies. Something about their vibe just gravitates me toward them, and I hope they’ll continue to be one of my holiday activities every year. If you haven’t already, try watching the Santa Clause movies with Jim Allen. Iconic. And who can forget about the live action Grinch, or the adorable Charlie Brown Christmas special? Frosty the Snowman is a classic. If you take my advice and don’t like the movies, please don’t let me know because it’ll make me sad. 

Number 9 – Snow!

If you live in a region that typically experiences snow fall this time of year, I’ve heard that this upcoming winter is predicted to be a fierce, cold, and white one. Even if you’re not a huge fan of snow, maybe you could still take its presence as an opportunity to enjoy it somehow. Playing in the snow by making snowmen, pushing down your brothers, and sled riding is always fun, but I know that’s not everyone’s style. You could try taking very scenic images of it, or using it as a background as you and your dog pose your matching Hanukkah sweaters. Or, maybe just use it as an excuse to not leave the house – I do that quite a bit in the winter time. 

Number 10 – Celebrate 

I know this one may sound obvious, but I think it’s important that everyone remember what the holidays are – a celebration! Why not go all out and have the best holiday season yet? Celebrate until your heart’s content. After all, you deserve it – you’ve made it another wild year. I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season as they celebrate all of the exciting things that are coming up, including the Ball drop on News Years Eve! Stay safe loves! 

Happy Holidays!