This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

It’s been a long day at the beach.  Your body is warm, your skin is dark, and, as you catch a glimpse of yourself in the mirror, you realize your hair is perfect!  Carefree, beachy waves are the iconic look of summer.  They represent the hot days and long nights of fun and friendship that just aren’t the same during the school year.  What other summer hair looks do we love here at Her Campus IUP?  

We love headbands!

Bandanas and braided cotton headbands add a little something extra to a messy bun or ponytail.  Headbands are a great summer hairstyle because they keep the humid air frizz out of your face!  Grab a bandana in a fun color, like pink or blue, and channel your inner Rosie the Riveter- tough and feminine at the same time!  Cut up an old t-shirt into inch thick strips to create a braided cotton headband!  Fasten each end to a regular hair tie and voila! you have a no pinch, no pull, super cute headband!  A bandana or braided cotton headband is a must-have for carefree summer hair!   

We love halo braids!

This boho chic look is easy and adorable!  Simply braid your hair into pigtails, wrap each tail over the opposite side of your head, and secure with bobby pins- easy!  The great thing about this hairstyle is the messier, the better!  It looks like more work than it actually is and keeps your hair off your neck.  Look like an angel this summer, rock a halo braid!

We love casual chignons!

The chignon is a great way to achieve a sophisticated, but low maintenance look!  Dress it down by adding twists, braids, or even color to your look!  Like the halo braid, a chignon will keep your hair away from your body, keeping you cool all day and night.  This hairstyle can be worn to virtually any event, from work to a lunch date to the beach to a party!  

Summer is a time to relax and rejuvenate before a busy school year, don’t let fussy hairstyles get in the way!  Her Campus IUP loves the picturesque beach waves, but don’t stop there!  Grab a headband, rock a halo braid, or class it up with a versatile chignon!  Look your best this summer with the hair looks we love!

Pictures from Pinterest.com