This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

September is suicide prevention month, dedicated to those who took their lives due to unforeseen circumstances and turmoil. This month is one to take time to appreciate our loved ones and go the extra mile to be nice to others. 

Though everyone may not agree with or have sympathy towards a loss to suicide, I think it is important to understand that there are battles that people face that go unnoticed and overlooked. It takes a strong human being to try and face their demons head-on without the help or support of others. This is a great month to educate yourself on mental illness and the intense symptoms it can cause. 

Make sure to check on your friends, family and even strangers. If you see someone who may not seem okay, feel free to have a nice conversation with them and allow yourself to empathize. You’ll never know whose life you could potentially add value or love to by simply being nice. Everyone isn’t open to talking about their problems but knowing that someone cares can help immensely. 

It’s important to not take someone seeming “happy” as them being okay. Also accepting the fact that it’s okay to not be okay. So often we get accustomed to the life we live because we are just trying to survive and instead of actually living, we find comfort in just getting by. That then leads us to stay stagnant and puts in a never-ending cycle of repetition and depression. 

If you or anyone you know is going through a difficult time and have suicidal thoughts here are the following resources that are helpful: 

1. Pittsburgh Crisis Prevention Hotline –  1-888-796-8226

2. National Suicide Prevention Lifeline – 1-800-273-8255

3. National Crisis Text Line – text HOME to 741741

Therapists and counselors are available everywhere as well. For my college’s students, the health center is included in tuition and you are guaranteed counseling free of charge throughout the semester. There are also apps that can show you therapists in your specific area based on your desired need and wants. Please take advantage of these resources and the people around you. Don’t hesitate to speak up during a tough time or even during a bad day. If you aren’t a talker, invest in a cheap journal and write. 

Let’s stand strong, kind, and resilient this month!