So No One Told You Life Was Gonna Be This Way- 6 Lessons I Learned from Friends

If the names Rachel, Phoebe, Monica, Joey, Ross, and Chandler don’t ring a bell to you, you’re probably lacking in the sitcom department. I’m talking about the tv show Friends. For ten years, these six characters were making viewers laugh, cry and think. While these characters are all different, as a whole, they complement each other; and each of them has a lesson to bring to the table.

Phoebe taught me that it’s okay to be different 

What would the world be if we were all the same? Probably pretty boring. Our favorite fun-loving, pigtail-wearing, hippy friend, Phoebe, teaches us that it is more than acceptable to be different. Does she care that people think her antics are strange? No, she doesn’t, and she couldn’t be happier of who she is. Everyone needs a little bit of Phoebe in their life; self-confidence to be who you truly are is one of the best characteristics a person can have.

Chandler taught me that having a sense of humor is crucial in life 

It’s been said that the best cure in life is laughter. Our comic relief, Chandler, knows that life is too short to be taken too seriously. He always seems to be ready with a joke to lighten the mood. I think that everyone in the world needs to be more like Chandler. We are too caught up in life’s busy routine that we forget to stop and laugh every once in a while.

Joey taught me that just because you get older, you don’t have to grow up

For the entire ten seasons of Friends, I don’t even think I (an avid fan) could count how many different jobs Joey worked. While it is not ideal to be jumping from job to job so that you can pay the bills, I think that Joey has a good message. Although we mature and grow up, it doesn’t mean we should completely forget our childhood. Joey is always making the audience laugh with his child-like behaviors. Sometimes it is nice to escape the real world. So the next time you are feeling overwhelmed with life, let Joey inspire you, and forget how old you are and your responsibilities for a bit.