So No One Told You Life Was Gonna Be This Way- 6 Lessons I Learned from Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

If the names Rachel, Phoebe, Monica, Joey, Ross, and Chandler don’t ring a bell to you, you’re probably lacking in the sitcom department. I’m talking about the tv show Friends. For ten years, these six characters were making viewers laugh, cry and think. While these characters are all different, as a whole, they complement each other; and each of them has a lesson to bring to the table.

Phoebe taught me that it’s okay to be different 

What would the world be if we were all the same? Probably pretty boring. Our favorite fun-loving, pigtail-wearing, hippy friend, Phoebe, teaches us that it is more than acceptable to be different. Does she care that people think her antics are strange? No, she doesn’t, and she couldn’t be happier of who she is. Everyone needs a little bit of Phoebe in their life; self-confidence to be who you truly are is one of the best characteristics a person can have.

Chandler taught me that having a sense of humor is crucial in life 

It’s been said that the best cure in life is laughter. Our comic relief, Chandler, knows that life is too short to be taken too seriously. He always seems to be ready with a joke to lighten the mood. I think that everyone in the world needs to be more like Chandler. We are too caught up in life’s busy routine that we forget to stop and laugh every once in a while.

Joey taught me that just because you get older, you don’t have to grow up

For the entire ten seasons of Friends, I don’t even think I (an avid fan) could count how many different jobs Joey worked. While it is not ideal to be jumping from job to job so that you can pay the bills, I think that Joey has a good message. Although we mature and grow up, it doesn’t mean we should completely forget our childhood. Joey is always making the audience laugh with his child-like behaviors. Sometimes it is nice to escape the real world. So the next time you are feeling overwhelmed with life, let Joey inspire you, and forget how old you are and your responsibilities for a bit.

[pagebreak]

Monica taught me that it comes in handy to be organized 

While some may see her as a control freak, I think that Monica is the voice of reason. She is organized, neat and precise- three qualities that come in handy in life. As we get older, these characteristics become more essential. While life is too short to worry about every detail, make sure you always have some concept of organizations. It will make your life much less stressful and much more enjoyable.

Rachel taught me to go after my dreams 

From the very first episode and on, there was a noticeable fire in Rachel’s eyes. She knew what she wanted in life and she was going to get it. She worked her way from a coffee shop waitress to a Ralph Lauren employee. With a little motivation, we can go very far, just like Rachel. We need to remember that things aren’t supposed to be handed to us- we need to work for them. Rachel should inspire us all to work as hard as we can, because in the end, the reward will be worth the wait.

Ross taught me that it’s okay to be passionate about anything 

This dinosaur-loving doctor of paleontology could not be anymore passionate about his career. While the other five may make fun of him for it at times, that doesn’t stop him. We all need to be like Ross and find something (or many things) that we are passionate about- something in our life that we love. In the end, people will respect you for having such a strong dedication. Don’t be afraid to show your passion for whatever it is that makes you happy.

All of these friends have their special qualities, and they find the ones that they don’t in each other. Having a piece of each character would make a happy medium in your life. As long as you’re happy, laughing and passionate, you will have great life. Take these lessons from our six friends to heart and always remember to keep your head up, even when the rain starts to pour. 

photos:

hotflick.net

invincibletvseries.blogspot.com

thetalkingbox.com

watchfriendsonline.info

tumblr.com

sharetv.org