yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

Real Live College Guy Brendan: A 5 Step Guide to This Year’s Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

1. Conservative for what?

As a guy, it is probably my natural inclination to tell girls to “take it off” during the most undressed holiday of the year. However, if your costume is awesome, creative, or a true expression of yourself, go for it! If you are a girl who is looking for a guy’s attention; a pretty face and a funny costume are always a killer combination.

2. A Lesson From Miley Cyrus.

Remember, if your goal is to be talked about for twerkin’ up a storm on Robin Thicke, it probably wont happen. Provocative costumes will earn you a ton of “Miley” attention though. Her Michael Jordan bikini may not have been held as the classiest attire, but this is only one day out of the year. So if you know yourself well enough to dress up in near nothing and be comfortable, more power to you! It’s going to be a cold one though.

3. Who Are You Dressing Up For?

This is not to suggest all girls are dressing up to meet a boy. Frankly, Halloween may not be the time to do that because of the facade of the holiday. For example, if I dress up as a professional baseball player and you like that and, in this instance, we meet up again and you realize I am actually a writer (which you don’t like), it can cause some issues. If you are dressing up for boys, wear something that says something about who you are as a person– it could give you a chance to open up about yourself while still dressing however you want (like music? Make a cd bra!). If you are just dressing up with friends without any desire to play the attention of boys, disregard this, carry on.

4. (Don’t Let Mom See This One.) Wear Something Practical For the Weather and Drunk Proof.

Many students will go to parties this Halloween. Most parties in the end of October are cold, possibly wet, and probably involve drunk individuals. I am not saying anyone reading this partakes in such a thing, however this is more about who is around you. Try to avoid wearing things that can be untied, ripped, ruined by rain, etc. Because many drunk individuals cannot refrain from untying that bandana you are wearing as a shirt, ripping that newspaper bra, or tearing apart the wet duct tape on your body, this applies to you– especially if you decide not to wear anything underneath.

5. How Much is Too Much Too Little?

This one is up for debate. Naked is too little. Snow gear is probably too much. However, there is a ton of room between those two. This grey area is a tough place to make a decision, especially from a guy’s perspective. Since I can’t possibly be in the minds of every girl on this campus to understand the thought behind what (or how much/little) clothing she is wearing I would go with this: wear anything you want, so long as it does not yield negative feelings towards yourself or other individuals, interfere with your ability to have fun based on weather conditions, and will not unintentionally fall off of your body.

Be sure to have a happy Halloween!