Life > Experiences

Navigating Valentine’s Day When You’re Single

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Valentine’s Day as a single girl can be tough. Even though you’re happy for them, seeing people in your life be in happy relationships can put a damper on yourself; but I’m here to let you know that comparing yourself to others is only going to make it worse. Even though you may be experiencing your season of being single, that doesn’t mean you can’t express love to both yourself and other important people in your life. Here are some things that I will be incorporating this Valentine’s Day!

Limiting my social media use

This is one of the simplest and most effective ways that makes me feel a whole lot better about not having a significant other this Valentine’s Day. By reducing the time I spend on social media, it allows me more time to spend either by myself or with family and friends, and it also eliminates constantly seeing all of the Valentine’s Day posts that will be flooding my feed this year. I already know that by reducing the time I spend on social media, it is going to improve my mood and make me feel more appreciative of the people I have in my life that I can show love to.

Showing love to other people in my life

You don’t have to have a significant other in order to show love to someone else in your life. Love is able to be spread through everyone you know, and showing love to your family and friends can be just as meaningful and impactful, and they are going to be appreciative of you showing that you love and care for them. Whether that be sending a text, going out and enjoying a meal or coffee, or making a gift, there are many ways to show love to other people in your life!

spending time with myself

The most important person to show love to this Valentine’s Day (and all year long) is yourself! Spending time alone can be hard and uncomfortable at first, but once you start you’re never going to want to stop! Finding comfort in your own company is so peaceful and something I love incorporating every day. Taking myself on a coffee date, going on a walk or just simply staying at home and working on a project or watching a movie are some of the few things I love doing alone. Try learning more about yourself and finding an activity that you love doing this Valentine’s Day!

Having a galentine’s day

Having a Galentine’s Day with some friends can be a great way to spend and celebrate the day! Some ideas include having a potluck, a movie night, or a game night, but the possibilities are endless! Spending time with your friends can be a fun way to spend the day and reminds you that there are many people who love and care about you!

Navigating Valentine’s Day when you’re single can be hard, but with the right plan and mindset it can actually be a great way to celebrate everyone in your life!

Michaela is a writer on the Her Campus team at IUP and is also on the social media team creating posts on the Instagram. At IUP, Michaela is majoring in Nursing, with the goal of becoming a travel nurse after she graduates. She is a sophomore and is expected to graduate in 2026. She is also a member of Theta Phi Alpha, a social sorority at IUP. In her free time, Michaela enjoys reading, crocheting, and spending time outdoors. She also enjoys going to the gym and walking her dog. She loves to listen to rock and pop punk music and enjoys attending concerts.