This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

As the new year has come upon us, it brings new trends, and one of them that has come on my FYP is “Ins and Outs for 2024.” I really liked this one because I don’t really like the term “New Year’s Resolutions” to describe my goals and what I want to work on in the new year, so I decided to write some ins and outs for this year!

ins

– Only spending money on things that I need. I am guilty of giving in to overconsuming and buying things even if I already have something that I can use and work perfectly fine, so this year I want to use everything that I already have first before buying anything new.

– Having a regular study schedule. Making time every day to work on studying for exams and getting assignments done can make preparing for exams easier and less stressful. Cramming for exams last minute is something I want to keep in 2023 and studying farther in advance is being brought in to 2024.

– Going to the gym 3-4 times a week. Usually during winter and summer breaks I go to the gym regularly, but this year I really want to prioritize going to the gym during the semesters as well.

– Reading 1-2 books per month. I love reading and last year I didn’t read as many books as I wanted to, so this year I am making it a goal to read 1-2 books every month.

outs

– Mindlessly scrolling on my phone. Lately, I’ve noticed that if I spend a lot of time on my phone or social media in general, it tends to put a damper on me and affect my mood for the rest of my day. I think replacing scrolling on my phone with a different hobby can make me feel better and I get to engage in something I enjoy doing.

– FOMO. This is something that I deal with tremendously and have dealt with it for a long time. I want to leave FOMO in 2023 and not feel guilty for missing out on something that I truly don’t want to go to. There will always be another party or another hangout to go to, and if I miss one or two once in a while it will be okay.

– Messy spaces. I tend to let my room and my car get to the point where it gets really messy and then I get really stressed about it being messy. Regularly going through and picking up trash and tidying up my spaces can make it easier for me to keep it clean.

Michaela is a writer on the Her Campus team at IUP and is also on the social media team creating posts on the Instagram. At IUP, Michaela is majoring in Nursing, with the goal of becoming a travel nurse after she graduates. She is a sophomore and is expected to graduate in 2026. She is also a member of Theta Phi Alpha, a social sorority at IUP. In her free time, Michaela enjoys reading, crocheting, and spending time outdoors. She also enjoys going to the gym and walking her dog. She loves to listen to rock and pop punk music and enjoys attending concerts.