This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

As the world’s #1 summer hater, the fall season brings me joy unlike any other. I love this time of year so much; it never fails me. Pretty leaves falling from the trees, sweaters, boots, hot chocolate; you name I love it! In my first semester of college, I created a sort of ritual I’ve followed every year since. While some of the things on this list are kind of out there, I truly believe it makes this the most wonderful time of the year.

GEtting a new piercing

My first semester of college, I got my tongue pierced by my friend in her dorm room. I know, crazy! Contrary to popular assumption, my tongue did not rot, fall off, or get infected. I still have it to this day, and I love it. My mother had one when I was a child, and it inspired me to get in done as an ‘adult’. So, if you want to blame anyone for my decision, blame her! My second year, I got my septum pierced by a professional. My mother hates this piercing, too. When I facetimed her to show her my septum, she exclaimed, ‘you’re a bull’! Now, I don’t know what I’ll be getting this year, but I know it’s going to upset my mother. Sorry!

Switching out my summer clothes to fall clothes

I have a crap ton of clothes for both seasons, so switching them out is quite a hassle, especially with living on campus, I take both summer and fall clothes with me to campus, but I have a lot more summer clothes (foolish, I know). I, luckily have an amazing mother, with an amazing car! I’ll go home for a weekend with trash bags full of summer clothes, then return to campus with trash bags full of winter clothes and shoes!

Going Thrifting

I love thrifting like a fat kid loves cake (I should know, I was a fat kid)! It is so fun to go through the sweater section and find the cutest pieces ever. Even if I don’t buy anything the on days I go, it is a rite of passage to browse the aisles. IUP has a Goodwill within walking distance to the campus, and you can’t keep me out of there! There is a Salvation Army close to campus, too. But you’ll need a car, or a friend with a car, ;) to get you there. I recently found a Halloween themed sweater vest there, and it really embodies the English teacher with spunk vibe I’m going for.

Dying my hair a new color

My first fall semester, my hair was a bright, hot pink color! I loved it so much, I just felt so cool with my hair that color. The second fall semester was dark purple. This year, in late August I dyed it was supposed to be a lavender,. Unfortunately it came out the same dark purple as the year before. Imagine my heartbreak when I looked in the mirror and didn’t see a light purple. To make up for August’s failure, I’ll be dying my hair a bright red, perfect for the fall season.

A G

IUP '26

AG is a member of Her Campus's Indiana University of Pennsylvania chapter. AG covers a slew of topics regarding sexual and mental health. As a junior at IUP, she has written about her experiences in college. AG also enjoys writing about her familial and friend relationships in a collegiate world. You may also find AG's articles containing she has found herself apart of over the years. Outside of Her Campus, you can find AG in the library tutoring other students, treating the world like her runway as a member of POIZ, or challenging moral dilemmas and beliefs in Philosophy Club. With English as her major, AG is constantly studying in the library, writing an essay, or has her nose in a book. During the summer, AG annually participates in her city's corporate internship program to understand as much of the corporate world before she graduates. In her free time, AG enjoys reading, writing, yearning, and spending time with her friends. As a family woman, you will certainly find AG with her siblings or parents, enjoying her time outside of school. She also enjoys watching hours long YouTube video essays about any and every subject.