This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

This summer I had the absolute pleasure of living in Chicago for three months! Through my internship, I was able to live right downtown in the Chicago South Loop. If you aren’t familiar with Chicago, the South Loop is where the business district and the river walk is and the infamous “Bean”, which is actually a sculpture named “Cloud Gate.” Chicago is the third-largest city in the United States and at times can be very overwhelming. With a city so full of energy, hustle, bustle, culture and good eats, figuring out how you want to spend your days can be quite the task. Here are some must do’s, eats and sees of Chicago. 

1. Get a Chicago style hot dog. There are so many good things to eat in Chicago, you really can’t go wrong with most things. However, you must not leave Chicago without getting a hot dog. Deep dish is good but the hot dog is where it’s at. A Chicago style dog is an all-beef hot dog, with an everything bun, onions, relish, mustard, tomato, pickle, sport peppers, and celery salt and yes, it all fits. What is most important to note is that you absolutely must NOT ask for ketchup. They will laugh at you, a lot. 

2. Go to the Willis Tower Skydeck. This is a really touristy thing to do, however, it is amazing. The Willis Tower, formerly known as the Sears Tower, it is one of the highest buildings in the world that allows guests to stand on a glass platform. It really allows you to soak up and see all of downtown and see how expansive the city is. 

3. Speaking of the best ways to see the city, go on a boat tour! I’m not going to recommend a specific one because they are all pretty fantastic and there are many different types to fit everyone’s interests but it is the best way to see the beautiful skyline that is Chicago. 

4. Enjoy the riverwalk. Chicago has one of the most extensive river walks that wraps around the city and river, filled with gardens, breweries and adorable patios and restaurants. It is also a perfect place to run in the morning if you need to burn off all the hot dogs you’re about to consume. 

5. If you are of drinking age, you must go to Lincoln Park and visit a bar named Replay. They do awesome pop-up themes in one side of the bar. When I was there it was Spongebob themed and it was insanely decked out. All the drinks were themed, there were a million TVs all playing Spongebob episodes, they even had real sand and Sandy’s bubble. 

6. No matter what you do however, you must go to Second City. Second City is the oldest comedy club in the United States. They put on shows that will have you HOWLING in laughter. Also, it is in one of my favorite neighborhoods in Chicago, Old Town. Old Town is a groovy little area with delicious restaurants and beautifully crafted cocktails. So, get dinner with some girlfriends, grab a drink and be ready to be in tears. 

No matter how you choose to spend your days in Chicago, just get out there and get to it!! It’s a beautiful city with a beautiful culture and people.

Cats and Caffeine are key.