Meet Michelle. IUP’s Mini Thon President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Meet Michelle! Michelle is a junior here at IUP majoring in International Studies and History. Most students would be overwhelmed by two majors, but Michelle says that she loves learning about the past and policies. She is then able to use that knowledge to make better informed choices about policies that could be used in our future. In addition to that, Michelle enjoys learning about different countries and their cultures. I met Michelle through the organization here called IUP Mini Thon. Mini Thon is an organization on campus that raises awareness for childhood cancer and works closely with FTK; For the Kids. Our main purpose is to raise money with the help of students and staff, to find a cure for pediatric cancer. We also seek to raise awareness about how pediatric cancer can affect so many. Michelle just so happens to be the president of IUP Mini Thon. I asked her what is the most difficult part about holding the president position and she said, “I think that while it is stressful and a challenge, that it is also an extremely rewarding opportunity to put on different events and create an environment where change can be made.” For any student interested in becoming the president of an organization, Michelle has some advice: “Form an awesome executive board to share the work and excitement with. They can foster new ideas especially amongst one another to help the organization continue to grow.”

In addition to IUP Mini-Thon; Michelle and I both completed an internship in Washington, D.C. together through the Washington Center. Although we were not placed at the same site, we both have similar feelings about our time spent in our nation’s capital. Michelle shares, “my experience in D.C. was without a doubt one of the best experiences I ever had in my life. I learned so many intricacies about politics in Eastern Europe in general but I also learned that I am stronger than I thought I was and that I am on the right path for the career that I know I want.” Michelle explained that there are so many paths to be taken to get to your dream job, so just enjoy the experience along the way. Overall, spending the summer in D.C., Michelle and I both learned that is most important to never be afraid to ask questions and always go for opportunities that you want in life. “You miss 100% of the shots that you don’t take.”

As a junior in college, Michelle now has the experiences and knows the do’s and don’ts of college. Her advice for freshman is to get involved with organizations around campus and actively seek to become a part of your department. She says that the people that you will meet in those different clubs and organizations all have various backgrounds which you can take advantage of. Being surrounded by diversity; meaning different cultures as well as different majors, you can learn a lot from those individuals. Also, do not be that student who thinks it is not “cool” to have conversations with your professors, get to know them. Your professors will give you invaluable advice and guidance. The last question I asked Michelle is, “what are three adjectives that you think a successful person needs to have?” Michelle believes it is important to be ambitious, friendly to a certain extent, and decisive.

If you see Michelle around campus, go ahead and say hello! Also, if you are interested in joining IUP Mini-Thon or want to know more about interning in Washington, D.C, we are the ones to talk to!

Graduated from Indiana University of Pennsylvania with a B.S in Child Development and Family Relations in May 2018. I have a passion for working with the youth, making a difference in the community, and having a positive impact on individual's lives. "A good woman, trying to be a better woman, while inspiring and helping the next woman."