sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Beauty

I Stopped Shaving My Legs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Shaving your legs has been a central component of femininity for quite a while now, and society has made sure to promote that. From making pink razor’s for women to creating specialized services just for leg hair removal, it’s gotten a little out of hand. With the recent women’s movements promoting making your own choices, I made one of my own. It was to stop shaving my legs.(Photo by Bruce Mars)

To start off, I will say that I’m lucky because I have blonde hair so my leg hair is lighter than a lot of others. This made it significantly easier to make the choice to stop.

The biggest reason I decided to stop was because I was just tired of the effort it took. Finding the time to shave my legs every once in a while was tough since I’m someone who procrastinates hard on getting ready to go anywhere. So adding in shaving time just wasn’t feasible for me unless I sat down and decided to seriously change some habits.

(Photo by Djim Loic)

Another reason I decided to stop was because it’s just an unnecessarily arduous process just for my legs to be smooth for a short period of time. I basically had to become a contortionist just to get the backs of my legs, and it didn’t even last that long.

The last big reason is that sometimes you mess up. You’re guaranteed to miss at least one patch of hair every time you shave and then find it 20 minutes later once you’re done and dressed. Not only that, but razor’s are sharp, and if you’re not careful, bad mistakes can be made. I have three scars by my ankles because I angled the razor a little bit too much.

(Photo by Jandro Martinez)

Obviously, this is a personal decision and by no means am I trying to convince you to stop shaving your legs. However, I would encourage to do it for a week and see how it feels. Then maybe two weeks and so on and so forth. You may find that it saves you time and money in the long run!

Gabrielle Bonnar is a current undergrad student at IUP who enjoys writing for HerCampus. She enjoys writing articles as a way to express her opinions and experiences throughout her life. Also, this acts as an outlet for her to write about new interests and ideas that she might not be able to express as well through her other artistic mediums. Being a member of Her Campus has strenghtened her abilities as a writer and she is excited to see where this portfolio of pieces takes her in the future. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter at @typical_guby.