This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

I enrolled in university at the ripe old age of twenty-one. I’m twenty-three now and starting my junior year as a double-major. Meanwhile, the majority of my friends are: graduating, turning twenty-one or graduating and turning twenty-one. And like every twenty-one year old in existence, they’re excited to finally experience the rite of passage of every young adult’s life: the college bar scene. 

I started going to bars when I was still a freshman. That was two years ago. The novelty of drinking in a crummy, dimly lit bar has long worn off. By 11:30 on most nights, I’m in bed. Don’t even bother texting me. I’ve probably already finished my skincare routine. 

It’s not that I don’t like spending time with my friends. I do. But I am always so tired that by the end of the day, all I want to do is crawl under my covers and hibernate for the next six to eight hours. College can be so exhausting. 

Speaking of, have you ever noticed how much your back hurts after hunching over a desk taking notes all day? It’s torture. I should send my university a bill for my chiropractor. 

Maybe I’m getting old.

Michaela Shaw was the vice president and senior editor of the Her Campus chapter at Indiana University of Pennsylvania from 2020-2022. During her time as an undergraduate student, Michaela was also a member of Active Minds, Alpha Kappa Delta, the National Society for Leadership and Success, Sociology Club, and Psi Chi. She also volunteered with Hopeful Hearts, a grief support group for children and families. After completing an internship at Allegheny County Children, Youth and Families, she graduated in August with a dual baccalaureate in Psychology and Sociology and a minor in Child and Adult Advocacy Studies. She likes video games, reading, rainy days, vinyl records, Thai food, and spending time with her cat, Ron.