samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Slay Your Next Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

No matter what you decide to do in life, at some point in time you will find yourself in an interview. Whether it be for a job, an internship, or a scholarship–interviews can be nerve wracking. If you are someone that feels you do not interview well or if you just really want to slay at your next interview…follow these five tips!

1. Dress the role!

(Photo courtesy of www.womenfashionssaver.com)

It may seem like a simple tip, but this can make or break your interview. Business attire may not be your favorite, but it is necessary. If you choose to wear a skirt, it should cover your knees. Cleavage should be nonexistent during the interview. You also want to avoid wearing too much jewelry and too much perfume. I, personally, love wearing business attire and have an entire Pinterest board dedicated to it. If you aren’t sure where to start, Pinterest can help! It is important to always dress for an interview.

2. Practice!

I’m sure this seems strange, but it really does help! If your college or university offers mock interviews, I highly recommend it! A mock interview allows you to see what habits you have when you are answering questions and provides valuable feedback that will make you more marketable. If you can’t have a mock interview, find standard interview questions online and think about how you may answer them. Pay close attention to filler words such as “like” and “uhm.”

3. Relax!

Interviews can cause serious stress and high levels of anxiety for people. If you find yourself to be one of those people, try to relax. Do things that you know will calm you down like listening to music, meditating, journaling, or talking to friends about your concerns. On the other hand, you do not want to relax too much because it may come across as if you do not care during the interview or that you are not taking the interview serious.

4. Have questions prepared!

At the end of an interview, the interviewer always asks if you have any questions for them. It may seem like it is better to not have any questions, but having questions is very important. Plan three to five questions you genuinely want to know and be attentive to their answers. If you think of another question while they are answering, don’t be afraid to ask that one too! Asking questions shows that you have done your research on the company and you want to make sure that they are a good fit for you.

5.  Be confident!

Interviewing can cause your confidence to waiver. Remember that you are amazing and capable. Have faith in yourself and let your confidence come through.

Even if an interview does not go as well as you would have hoped, remember that there are tons of opportunities in the world! Happy interviewing!

Danielle Jones is from Jeannette, Pennsylvania--a small town with big pride. As an English, Writing major with a minor is Business Administration she loves words and truly believes in their power. She is currently one of two Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at IUP. In her free time, Danielle enjoys reading, writing, and all things Shonda Rhimes.