Life > Academics

How I’m Preparing For a Successful Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

It’s hard to believe that the beginning of the semester is already here! A new semester means a fresh start, and the key to having a successful semester is starting to prepare right at the beginning. I can easily get stressed and overwhelmed by all of the information the first week can bring, so here are some ways that I like to prepare myself to have a successful semester!

Writing all the important dates in my planner

This is one of the easiest things to do to help keep you on track with assignments and exam dates. I personally like to use a physical planner, but using your phone or a digital planner is still a great option and can be just as effective! Taking all of the dates from the syllabus and inserting them into your calendar is a great way to keep all your dates organized so that you don’t miss a date and when the time comes, you aren’t cramming to get an assignment done last minute.

Making a habit to study and work on assignments every day

Creating a routine for when you are going to study is another great way to help prepare yourself for exams. Scheduling and creating a routine and uninterrupted time to study and work on assignments can make your life so much easier. Even if something isn’t due for a few weeks and you think you have enough time to prepare, it’s always better to get ahead because if you end up getting behind it can be a damper to catch back up.

Making time for myself

I personally can get really caught up in trying to tackle everything on my to-do list, so making time to do something by myself every day helps keep me sane and in check so I don’t get burnt out. Whether that be reading, going to the gym or just simply hanging out with friends, it’s important that I take a break and step away from my school work so that I can recharge and come back to my work willing to work and put my best effort in it.

Making connections with my professors

I’ve always been scared to go up to my professors and ask for help or build connections with them, but this semester I want to change that. Professors are a great resource to help you if you are struggling and need help. They’ve been in your shoes before and know how hard it can be to be a student, and they are more than willing to help. They can also be a great tool to help you get a jumpstart to your career and overall success. Building those connections will be worth it!

I hope everyone has a good semester! Make sure to take time for yourself and have fun, but remember to work hard and get that degree!

Michaela is a writer on the Her Campus team at IUP and is also on the social media team creating posts on the Instagram. At IUP, Michaela is majoring in Nursing, with the goal of becoming a travel nurse after she graduates. She is a sophomore and is expected to graduate in 2026. She is also a member of Theta Phi Alpha, a social sorority at IUP. In her free time, Michaela enjoys reading, crocheting, and spending time outdoors. She also enjoys going to the gym and walking her dog. She loves to listen to rock and pop punk music and enjoys attending concerts.