How to Fake the Natural Makeup Look

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

One of the trendiest makeup-styles appearing on celebrities and in magazines is the seemingly flawless, natural beauty look. The key to achieving the look is being able to use makeup in a way that looks like you actually aren’t even wearing any. The natural makeup look is especially great for times you don’t want to come across as trying too hard. It’s a great look to master, as it can reveal your natural features while giving off the vibe you’re confident and don’t need to hide behind caked-on makeup.

Healthy Skin

The first step to a natural makeup look is to prep your skin. Start out by washing your face with a cleanser and then exfoliate your face with a cloth. This will help your makeup blend easier as well as give your skin a fresh, healthy look.

Glowing Complexion

Start with a tinted moisturizer evenly distributed all over your face. Then use a concealer to target areas like under the eyes and the sides of the nose and also cover any blemishes. Next lightly swirl on powder (ex- Bare Escentuals Bare Minerals Matte SPF 15 foundation) using a brush in a circular motion. This will give it a subtle, natural yet not powdery appearance.

Warm Cheeks

For your cheeks, pick a warm color. Blushes in warm peaches and pinks will give your cheek a nice glow without looking too made-up. If you’re not much of a blush person, you can use a little bit of bronzer along the cheekbones instead. The key is to give your cheeks a glowing appearance without going overboard.

Sharp Yet Subtle Eyes

Take of your brows first, you want to make sure you groom them and also fill them in with a pencil. To add some definition to your eyelids use light, soft browns to give just the right amount of depth. Next, you’re going to want to make sure to define your lashes. You can skip out on shadow and liner, but not mascara. Curl your lashes then apply two coats to the top lashes (if you want to go for a really natural look use brown if you’re blonde and brownish-black if darker)

Slightly Tinted Lips

The natural look requires subtle attention to your best features rather than making a bold statement with bright colors. Avoid using bold lip colors; instead opt for lighter hues with a hint of color (ex. Tinted lip-gloss or lip stain). You want to go for soft, satiny colors that will complement a natural makeup look. 

Try this at home and let us know how it works for you. Feel free to submit your natural looks to our Facebook page!