How to Dress for Your Body Type – No, but Seriously- The Pear

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Alright ladies, SO, I am sure we have all seen the magazine articles about women’s body types and how we should dress to not only impress, but to flatter our figures; no matter what shape or size you are.  Then, as you find your body type and see something you L O V E… BAM! $200 Michael Kors rayon pants.  I will answer for you… WTH? My goal is to provide you, my favorite collegiettes with three different TIPS and TRICKS for three outfits that are AFORDABLE, for your body type.  I have broken the outfits down to work with the typical college girl’s life style.  Hello yogas!! Kidding, but the three outfits include:

1)      Casual to class

2)      Work it out, Lazy girl

3)      Night on the town

First step, take this AH-MAZING body type quiz to find what body shape category you fit in the best.  Check it out, here: Body Quiz

Over the next few weeks, I will share with you one body type each week.  This week, I will be starting with the pear body shape.  Then, I will choose whichever body shape gets the most votes. Please vote on our Facebook page after you take the Body Quiz.  I hope you are as excited as I am!

PEAR

1) For the pear, because your bottom half is wider than your top, look for a great pair of boot cut jeans, preferably black or dark denim.   If you are dying to wear your new Steve Madden riding boots, find a great skinny and  PEAR with a cute and fitted blouse that hits you at your hips.  This will help draw attention to your assets up top.  To layer this look, add a boyfriend style blazer over your blouse. They are one of my faves, a fitted blazer, yet a little longer.  Trust me, it will be much more flattering.  For a great priced must have boyfriend blazer, look no further.

2) For a casual trip to class or to get your sweat on, try these awesome styles.  The brand Xersion, found at JCPennys is both flattering and comfortable, and did I mention reasonable?  Xersion racerback tops are a great layering piece for a casual day to class and to wear to the gym.  The breathable material makes it great for a workout, while the length of the tanks makes it much more flattering for pear shaped women.  Find here: Xersion at JcPennys

3) If you want to take it up a notch, for a perfect night on the town outfit- or let’s be honest, a lame college town bar- pair a cute black high waisted skirt with a top that adds volume to your arms and shoulders.  This will make your shoulders appear more even to your hips.  Check out this FAB sheer blouse that will take your outfit from good to GREAT at Forever 21.

Do’s and Don’ts from the Professionals

• DON’T wear clothing that draws attention to hips and thighs, such as cargo pants or print skirts.
  • DO try a-line skirts, which camouflage wider hips.
  • DO keep hems of pants, skirts and dresses wide to balance the hips.
  • DO experiment with light-colored tops and dark-colored bottoms for contrast.
  • DO look for boat neck tops, square and cowl necklines.
  • DO wear strapless dresses to show off arms and even out proportions.
  • DO try styles with ruffles on top.
  • DO opt for pointy-toed shoes to elongate your legs.

(Sheknows.com)

Hello everyone! My name is Kristi Quinn and I am an English Education major with a Journalism minor at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. I love fashion, nutrition and fitness, and staying busy.