Wellness

How the Diva Cup and I became Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Mother Nature, Aunt Flow, That Time of the Month, periods, we all have them, and we all use products to manage them. If you’re like me you use tampons, pads and pantiliners, though other products exist, we don’t venture out of the typical boxed feminine products. On a whim, I decided to try the well known Diva Cup.

Diva Cup is a brand of menstrual cups. It is a reusable cup, that is made of silicone which the person who uses inserts in their vagina during their time of the month. I know, sounds scary and at first it was. I have this fear of losing something “up there” and not being able to get it out. So, the thought of inserting something in and out myself was very scary at first, but I am happy to say that after a few tries, the Diva Cup and I became friends.

First, read all the directions but keep an open mind. If you’re like me you’ll want to be informed but in the process of it psych yourself out from using it. The directions will say to boil it, which sounds weird but once you do it, it’s not that strange. Then, when you insert it, it’s much like using a tampon. Fold the cup like a taco and push it far up, sliding your fingers to the bottom piece and twist the cup. This part took me a little while. Twisting the cup helps it open up. It will be a little weird because you can kinda feel the cup unfurl inside and make some little bubble sounds but that is all normal. If you don’t feel it, that is ok too. As long as you have no leaking, you’ll be good.

At first, I wasn’t a fan of the Diva Cup. I could feel it when I moved and it wasn’t comfortable. But after using it a couple times, I felt more comfortable with it and was able to get it deeper. To me, the experience was much like my first time using tampons, after awhile you get the hang of it. Also, my fear of getting it stuck “up there” was quickly extinguished. It was hard to grab the “stem” but once I got my fingers pinched at the base of the cup, it was easy to slide out.

After a few tries, we quickly became friends. What I really like about the Diva Cup is that, even if it sounds gross, it is reusable.  It isn’t going directly into a landfill nor is it leaving behind traces like tampons have the ability to do. Though, I don’t think that I will ever stop using tampons or pads, I like that I will get a break from continually using and purchasing these products.

So, don’t be scared! Continue on! Go buy the Diva Cup and become friends!

Cats and Caffeine are key.