His Story: Marquette Perrin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

This week’s campus celebrity is Marquette Perrin. The senior Criminology major from Philadelphia has made a career out of being involved on IUP’s campus, literally! Perrin serves as an office aid for the African American Cultural Center, and because of that, he has gotten the chance to be involved with many different events on campus. Most recently, Perrin attended the NAACP Recpetion Banquet, where he accepted an award on behalf of one of his close personal friends. Because of the African American Cultural Center, Marquette has gotten to participate in a variety of things such as ice cream socials, debates, meet and greets, and cultural awareness nights.

Through his position at the African American Cultural Center, Perrin also serves as a peer mentor. Twice a week, you can find him at the AACC volunteering his time to talk with students who feel as though they need a bit of guidance as they navigate their way through college. Even when he is not mentoring, or actually working, you can probably find Marquette at the AACC engaging his coworkers in conversations on a variety of social interest topics, or scoping out his next adventure.

Marquette also serves as a member of the Black Student League (BSL). He has been with the student-run organization since he first made his way onto IUP’s main campus, after spending a year at the Punxy one. Speaking of the Punxy campus, Perrin has visited since he left, in order to talk to the current students about the transition between Punxy and main campus, and his own experience with making the adjustment. During his first year with the BSL, Perrin served as the Parliamentarian for the organization, and he still holds the ideals of the BSL close to his heart. The purpose of the BSL is to address and protect the issues and concerns of IUP’s minority students. In particular, they focus on the students’ transition to college life. Along with the BSL, Marquette recently held an election night dinner. The purpose of the event was to have students come togeter to enjoy good food, and watch the results of the election. The turnout was phenomenal. That night, Marquette found himself playing the role of server.

There’s also a creative side to Marquette. In addition to his other organizations and events, he also is a member of the African Dance Ensemble (A.D.E). A.D.E, which was founded back in 1995, strives to promote, and share African-oriented dance, music, creativity, and culture. Marquette’s goal for the organization this year is to become more widely known across campus.

While most students would find being so active on campus to be a daunting task, Perrin still has very clear goals in mind for his future. He wants to become a lawyer, and is steadily working towards that dream. Once his IUP studies are complete, Perrin wants to study law at Temple University, located in his hometown of Philadelphia. Currently, he is preparing to take is LSAT’s.

Overall, Marquette Perrin is a very active, outgoing and goal-oriented young man. That is why he is this week’s campus celebrity.

Hailing from the City of Brotherly Love and Sisterly Affection, Junene is a current student at Indiana University of PA majoring in Journalism. She has three minors consisting of Communications Media, English: Film Studies track, and Religious Studies.She is the founding President/Editor in Chief of IUP's branch of Hercampus.com, and is the Founder/President of the IUP women's organization That's What She Said. She is also a current member of SPJ, ( Society of Professional Journalists) PRSSA (Public Relations Student Society of America), CSCR (Committee for the Study of Culture and Religion) and Vice President of the Religious Studies Club at IUP. She is the sole undergradate member of IUPs' Library Outreach and Marketing Committee and is a member of the Student Advisory Group. Junene is a first generation college student; her favorite film is The Usual Suspects and her favorite book is And Then There Were None, authored by Agatha Christie.