This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

This week’s campus celebrity is Joseph Boyer. The 19 year old traveled more than five hours from his home in West Grove, PA on the opposite side of the state, to attend IUP as a Business Marketing Major. Boyer chose IUP due to Eberly College of Business’ affluent programs. Since he began attending the university in Fall 2011, he has been extremely hands-on, both inside and outside of the classroom.

In just his second year at IUP, Boyer has already claimed junior status which is just one of his many impressive attributes. He demonstrates his great business-minded personality in his involvement with many different on-campus organizations such as; Governor’s Students, International Business Association, Student Marketing Association and IUP’s branch of the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA). In fact, as of the Spring 2012 semester, Boyer has become the Public Relations Director of PRSSA.

It seems to be the obvious choice for Boyer to be involved in some of these organizations; however it is not simply about business. “I chose these organizations because the majority of them are geared towards business; but also because, in my opinion, they give me the greatest amount of networking and resume building capacity. And of course I have a genuine interest in them all.”

It’s a normal occurrence for people with siblings to enjoy having someone to have friendly competition with. Boyer is no exception to this rule as he claims to have always had this business drive. Being the fourth born of five children he has a natural knack for what he calls a “perpetual competition.” He credits his love of a competitive edge to being in such a great family, as each of his siblings have dedicated much of their time to their education.

Having a large family has proved to be influential in Boyer’s life as well. He stated, “I had a lot of experience with the business world; my sister is a Human Resource Director and my father owns his own cleaning business. I also took a lot of business classes in high school; including Marketing classes, and I fell in love with the subject.”

Much like most college juniors, Joe Boyer is not 100% sure about what exactly he wants to do when he walks across the KCAC stage for graduation in 2014. However, Boyer’s combination of dedication, determination and a strong competitive drive are sure to fare well in all of this business-minded individual’s future endeavors.

“As for further down the road; I really would love to work for a major corporation, hopefully in a major city like NYC or London. Europe is definitely a goal for my future as well,” says Boyer.

Joe Boyer can always be spotted around campus or attending a meeting of one of his aforementioned committees. He encourages others to step out of their comfort zones and join one of the organizations he is a part of.

All organizations can be found at; http://www.iup.edu/organizations/default.aspx

Photo Credit: Joseph Boyer

Hailing from the City of Brotherly Love and Sisterly Affection, Junene is a current student at Indiana University of PA majoring in Journalism. She has three minors consisting of Communications Media, English: Film Studies track, and Religious Studies.She is the founding President/Editor in Chief of IUP's branch of Hercampus.com, and is the Founder/President of the IUP women's organization That's What She Said. She is also a current member of SPJ, ( Society of Professional Journalists) PRSSA (Public Relations Student Society of America), CSCR (Committee for the Study of Culture and Religion) and Vice President of the Religious Studies Club at IUP. She is the sole undergradate member of IUPs' Library Outreach and Marketing Committee and is a member of the Student Advisory Group. Junene is a first generation college student; her favorite film is The Usual Suspects and her favorite book is And Then There Were None, authored by Agatha Christie.