This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Musicians are about as prevalent as bold statement jewelry and dark eye shadow these days. This is a testament to the power that music has over the emotions of those involved. This week’s Campus Celeb, however, is a unique musician that has a soaring passion for what she does. Caitlin Nance is a Freshman Music Education major at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. Originally from Pocahontas, Illinois, she is a multi-talented young woman who has a passion that is often the cause of double takes–the harp. She plays flute, piccolo, and piano as well, but the harp is what everyone asks about and recognizes her for. 

“I actually wanted to start playing the harp in fifth grade, but it wouldn’t fit in my mom’s car,” describes Nance. The full-size western harp (yes, there is more than one style and more than one size) often stands around six feet tall.

Since owning a harp is a slightly expensive endeavor, Nance’s mom wanted to make sure she was really interested in music. Nance started playing the flute first–after a couple of years of playing and thus proving her interest, she saw her first harp in eighth grade. Learning this practical physics of this particular instrument can prove difficult, and when asked what her favorite genre of music is, she states, “I actually like to play Baroque music and Irish music.”

Caitlin is the only harpist in Indiana University of Pennsylvania’s orchestra, a very coveted and hard position for any harpist. Playing the harp requires discipline and a great sense of self-reliance. Not every musician is accustomed to playing with such a stick-out instrument, and there is often a misconception about exactly what a harpist can work with. People often think of them very similar to the piano, when in reality the mechanics and techniques are far from those of an ivory-tickler. Being the only harpist involved in the orchestra often places certain demands on the individual because of these misconceptions, so she needs that go-get-em attitude to help her soar above the crowd.

“I only recently got involved in the orchestra—they aren’t used to having a harpist, so they just ordered music this year,” says Nance. “It has been a new experience for [the other players in the orchestra] as well as me, I think.” When asked if she has received any special recognition around campus, she states that she has had fellow musicians come up to her congratulating her on things like departmental recitals. Her friends may even introduce her as, “my friend Caitlin, the harpist.”

Caitlin is a true musician—she really enjoys her passion for music and wants to involve others in it.

“I just really enjoy music,” she says. “It came to me as a stress reliever when I had issues involving family.” She says being involved with music really helped her continue to be happy when things looked dim. During the blue periods in her life she focused on her skills, feeling them blossom the more active she was musically.

“The reason I am a Music Education major is so I can kind of share that happiness with people, and hopefully bring more people into music,” Nance says. She hopes to teach college-level musicians, bringing out the skill in the students so they can realize their love and appreciation for their passion.

Among the more unique things Nance is involved in, she remains creative in other ways.

“I’m actually a crafty kind of person,” she says. “I do crafts with duct tape and random things like that. I also sew and use water color pencils a lot.”

She has a Facebook page dedicated to her duct tape craft projects, many of which are for sale. Visit http://www.facebook.com/caitlinscrafts11 for a better look at all she can do with that “Quick-fix” adhesive, and definitely don’t be afraid to buy from her—the roses look amazing!

Hailing from the City of Brotherly Love and Sisterly Affection, Junene is a current student at Indiana University of PA majoring in Journalism. She has three minors consisting of Communications Media, English: Film Studies track, and Religious Studies.She is the founding President/Editor in Chief of IUP's branch of Hercampus.com, and is the Founder/President of the IUP women's organization That's What She Said. She is also a current member of SPJ, ( Society of Professional Journalists) PRSSA (Public Relations Student Society of America), CSCR (Committee for the Study of Culture and Religion) and Vice President of the Religious Studies Club at IUP. She is the sole undergradate member of IUPs' Library Outreach and Marketing Committee and is a member of the Student Advisory Group. Junene is a first generation college student; her favorite film is The Usual Suspects and her favorite book is And Then There Were None, authored by Agatha Christie.