Girls are the New Boys (How Girls are the New Players)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Gone is the “women should be seen and not heard” mentality of past generations.  Modern women are running companies, teaching in universities, and saving lives— all with a fresh coat of nail polish and lipstick.  As young, educated collegiettes, we expect nothing short of success and happiness in our educational and professional lives.  We are able to maintain these high expectations because of the fight that our mothers and grandmothers won for our gender.  

As 21st Century women, we are picking up the torch of a new fight.  The derogatory phrases egging us on this time around are “whore,” “slut,” and “skank.”  Yes, women can be successful in the workplace, but the second the drive and high-set goals that lie beneath this success appear in a non-professional setting, it becomes a negative attribute.  

[pagebreak]

Women who set their standards at the same level in and out of the office, who expect them same respect for their sexual, as well as professional, decisions are looked down upon in society.  A woman who is able to maintain purely physical, detached relationships is seen as cold and unfeminine, while a man who is doing the same thing is deemed a “player.” In a man’s case, being a player is not such a bad thing.  The reputation of mastering the “game” of dating and emotionless sex is one that is respected.  This respect, however, is not shared with women who are able to engage in sex without the burden of emotional baggage.

Aggression is a trait generally attributed to a male personality, but today’s women are becoming more aggressive in order to prove their worth and ability in their careers.  It’s only natural that this aggression be carried over into their personal lives.  Thus, femininity is seen as being sacrificed.  

Collegiettes need to band together to defend femininity.  If you want to have a detached relationship, go for it!  If you want to be the CEO of a Fortune 500 company, go for it!  In supporting the goals you and other young women have in for your personal and professional lives, alike, you rebel against the idea that men are the only gender than can play the “game.”  
Girls are the new boys.  We are taking a bigger role in every aspect of our lives.  Girls are the new players.  We have the ability to master emotionless sex, just like the guys do.  We have the right to be respected for our decisions and supported in the goals we set for our own lives.  

photo facts!

austinaija.com

flickr.com

corbisimages.com

365greetings.com