This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Facebook news feeds flood with equality symbols; calls for equal rights headline newspapers; protests are on the streets of Washington: it’s no secret that gay marriage is one of the biggest political issues of the decade.

President Obama is one of the most socially progressive presidents America has seen in office.  In fighting for minority, women, and homosexual rights, President Obama has proven that the civil rights of our nation’s citizens are at the top of his priority list.  This fight has also resulted in criticism from those Americans who are not ready for the drastic change President Obama hopes to see in society.  In the case of gay marriage, religion and issues of reproduction play a large role in the opposition of legalizing same-sex unions.

Despite the strong front opposing politicians have put up, many states have begun reevaluating their stance on gay marriage.  In response, California Proposition 8 and the U.S. Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) are currently under examination by the Supreme Court.  Both define marriage as an institution between one man and one woman.  DOMA limits government benefits, such as insurance, social security, and joint tax returns, to opposite sex unions, even in those states that have legalized gay marriage.

The Supreme Court’s final ruling should determine if marriage rights will be granted to the states, or if they are already defined in the Constitution.  This decision will be the most affective socially political decision of our generation.  Many argue that, culturally, the decision has already been made.  Despite the fine print of politics, same sex couples are accepted in the majority of American culture and the logical next step is to allow them equal rights of marriage.

A final decision will be made before early June.  The Supreme Court vote is anticipated to come down to a “swing” judiciary.  However, continual social and cultural pressure throughout the trial may have a significant effect on those judges who seemingly have made up their minds.  Regardless of the outcome, millions of lives will be affected by this decision and it will, hopefully, bring the nation as a whole closer together. 

Source: nytimes.com