This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Once the semester starts and I begin to settle into a routine, I usually motivate myself through anticipation. Whether it be my weekend plans, an upcoming trip, or a concert in three months, I tend to orient myself to the future in order to get through today.

I feel it’s normal to have something to look forward to, and even to use this as motivation, but I noticed that I may have been doing this to an unhealthy extent. For months, I was counting down the days until I took a less-than three week trip. I had many reasons to look forward to it, yes, but I felt that this anticipation stopped me from enjoying the present while I was waiting.

One thing I have begun to practice in order to better orient myself to the present is finding joy in the mundane, in the basic day-to-day activities I do. For example, walking to the laundromat, listening to my favorite music, and appreciating the night sky. I did this the other night and thought to myself, is the sky always so filled with stars? How often do I walk under this sky, my mind focusing on the tasks awaiting me, and not look up to notice its beauty?

Trying to ground myself in the present isn’t easy when I tend to always plan for what’s next. But in trying to do so, I have become more aware of the basic joys I have been missing out on. It has made me want to enjoy college more, as opposed to wishing I had already graduated and moved on with my life.

Whether your mind tends to focus on the past or the future (or who knows, maybe you feel you always live in the moment!) try to practice enjoying the present moment. It is easier said than done for some, but I’m sure you will notice bits and pieces of joy, peace, and gratitude that you may have missed out on.

Tatiana Cleffi is a writer for the Her Campus chapter at Indiana University of Pennsylvania (IUP,) who enjoys writing about her personal experiences, particularly in regards to her Latin culture. She is a senior nursing student who is eager to graduate in December 2023. Tatiana is passionate about bridging the language gap in the healthcare setting. She studied medical Spanish abroad to become better equipped to provide nursing care to a diverse range of patients. In her free time, Tatiana enjoys visiting her husband in Costa Rica, going to the beach, singing on the worship team at her church, and eating pumpkin pie.