This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Ladies, let’s be real. Have you ever looked in the mirror at yourself and picked out what’s “wrong” with your body? Have you ever felt uncomfortable in your skin? Have you ever felt like you need to “work on” your body?

Chances are, the answer is yes. I know I can answer yes to every one of those questions. For far too long, I always felt too skinny, thought my body didn’t fill out the way it should, or that I was genuinely plain old unattractive.

Last year, I heard about Boudoir with Brooke, a business local to the Indiana and Pittsburgh area, when I saw a friend repost a giveaway on their story. The photo was of a lovely basket full of goodies, from warm fuzzy socks to a sweet smelling candle. Did I want that? Yes!

As I clicked on the photo to learn how to enter, I learned that a free photoshoot accompanied this giveaway to celebrate Brooke’s growth in her budding business. I scrolled down to her posts. Woah. I’d love a basket full of goodies, but would I love to be photographed in a vulnerable position as much? Everyone looked so beautiful, but I was doubtful I would. I didn’t think too long about it, and reposted the giveaway to my story.

A few days later, I got a notification on my phone. I had won the contest giveaway! This meant I was officially getting a boudoir shoot. Immediately, I became excited. I had never done anything like this before. Second, I became a bit nervous. Would I like my photos? Would I like how my body looked in them?

Turns out, I had no reason to fear because I was in good hands. From the start, Brooke created a safe and inclusive environment for me. She is a firm believer that EVERY body is beautiful and deserves to be celebrated. In fact, one of the questions on her pre-shoot form was what my biggest insecurity about my body was. I wrote it down without hesitation.

The day of my shoot, I met with my wonderful friend Abby Lloyd, MUA of Sparrow Beauty Co. We chatted, myself nervously, as I tried my best not to flinch as she did my makeup. I looked in the mirror once she announced she was done. I hardly recognized the girl staring back, since I never wore makeup, but I felt beautiful. 

With Abby’s work done, it was time for the shoot. Brooke showed me her client closet, full of lingerie of all colors and sizes. I had brought along my own as well, but I was more than eager to try something new.

Brooke played music and grabbed her camera. She held my hand throughout the process, figuratively of course, ensuring I felt comfortable in my own skin. We chatted as she positioned me. I remember at one point my back was arched, my hands grabbing the silky white sheets on the bed in her shoot room, my bottom in the air. I thought to myself how silly I felt posed like this, having no idea how the shot would turn out. 

The shoot lasted about an hour, and I thanked Brooke for creating such a welcoming environment in a vulnerable experience on my way out.

Later, I received the link to access my photos. To avoid using my French, I will not say what I messaged Brooke, but let’s just say I could not believe how my photos turned out. Not only did I love them, I felt completely comfortable in my skin and able to see the beauty in myself that I struggled to see before.

Since then, I have been fortunate to have two more shoots with Brooke. Each time, I have felt empowered through the experience of her boudoir shoots. I remembered the nerves I felt before my first shoot. By my third, I told Brooke, “do your thing girl, I trust you completely!” And trust me, she did not disappoint. I find myself falling in love every single time I receive the link to my photos. 

How do you know if you are right for a boudoir shoot? If you find yourself in need of empowerment OR if you want to celebrate yourself! I seriously would recommend a shoot with Brooke to anyone. Believe me, you will be with the best!

To learn more about Boudoir with Brooke: https://linktr.ee/boudoirwithbrooke

To learn more about Sparrow Beauty Co.: https://www.instagram.com/p/CcxSVtrs8BO/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Tatiana Cleffi is a writer for the Her Campus chapter at Indiana University of Pennsylvania (IUP,) who enjoys writing about her personal experiences, particularly in regards to her Latin culture. She is a senior nursing student who is eager to graduate in December 2023. Tatiana is passionate about bridging the language gap in the healthcare setting. She studied medical Spanish abroad to become better equipped to provide nursing care to a diverse range of patients. In her free time, Tatiana enjoys visiting her husband in Costa Rica, going to the beach, singing on the worship team at her church, and eating pumpkin pie.