Life > Academics

Exploring Unique Study Spaces on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

I hate studying with an undying, unwavering passion. BUT IT MUST BE DONE! Otherwise, I’d be in the middle of an exam drooling on my paper as if I were Patrick! I’ve yet to find a way to study that is 100% efficient for me, unfortunately, but we’ll get there one day. Something that makes or breaks a study session for me is the vibe of where I’m studying. This January marks the 2nd year that I have been going to IUP, and I have found many places on campus that have that vibe, besides the basic study rooms or the library. This list here delves into those places, and why I like them.

The Blue room (Sutton Hall)

In IUP’s admission’s building, or Sutton Hall, sits the Blue Room. The Blue Room originally started as a dining room, as Sutton Hall was once a women’s dorm. Now the Blue Room occasionally hosts events such as etiquette dinners for students and town hall meetings. When it is not in use, the Blue Room is my quiet, comfy (thanks to the couches) destination for a study sesh in between my classes and clubs. I may be guilty of taking a nap there, too.

Jane Leonard (After Hours)

I love going into Jane (or HSS if you’re old) when it’s around 8:00pm and staying until who knows when. It is quiet (something you’ll see is a common occurrence) and a bit scary. The building, usually buzzing with life, is almost dead besides you and your computer. While this may turn some people off and away from the building, it brings me in. I believe the slight tinge of unease in the air allows me to get straight to my work. I want to get out ASAP!

Eberly College of Business

I am an English major, and I have never had a class here. When I first toured IUP (by myself bc I was a transfer), I noticed all the seating areas in Eberly. Plus around 5:00pm, it’s really dead in there. I believe it is the prime space for studying, as there isn’t really anyone inside unless they have a late class (rip).

Crimson Cafe (After DARK)

The Crimson Cafe holds Bento Sushi, Starbucks, and a ‘convenient store’. Convenient store is in quotes because nothing is convenient about a 13oz jar of Nutella for, like, $10. After say, 5, the place is deader than a doornail. Luckily, the building closes at 10:00pm, so you can get in a good 5-ish hours of studying with the savory smells of coffee filling your nose.

A G

IUP '26

AG is a member of Her Campus's Indiana University of Pennsylvania chapter. AG covers a slew of topics regarding sexual and mental health. As a junior at IUP, she has written about her experiences in college. AG also enjoys writing about her familial and friend relationships in a collegiate world. You may also find AG's articles containing she has found herself apart of over the years. Outside of Her Campus, you can find AG in the library tutoring other students, treating the world like her runway as a member of POIZ, or challenging moral dilemmas and beliefs in Philosophy Club. With English as her major, AG is constantly studying in the library, writing an essay, or has her nose in a book. During the summer, AG annually participates in her city's corporate internship program to understand as much of the corporate world before she graduates. In her free time, AG enjoys reading, writing, yearning, and spending time with her friends. As a family woman, you will certainly find AG with her siblings or parents, enjoying her time outside of school. She also enjoys watching hours long YouTube video essays about any and every subject.