Dos and Don’ts for IUP St. Patty’s Day Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

IUP St. Patty’s Day weekend is one of the biggest events of the spring semester. Everyone from students to alumni to even Slippery Rock and Penn State students come up to enjoy the fun. It may be one of the most exciting weekends of your college career, so you want to enjoy it to the fullest extent possible. Follow these simple dos and don’ts to have a super “lucky” weekend!  

Do wear a cute outfit. People and organizations have been selling St. Patty’s Day shirts for about two weeks and some shirt designs are really cool. Wear or cut up one of those St. Patty’s shirts and pair with some jeans and heels. If you’re a dude, just wear a shirt with jeans. Try your best to wear green and gold. You don’t have to dress to the theme, but it’s boring when you don’t.

Don’t wear something uncomfortable, especially if you expect to be dancing and house or bar hopping all night. Girls, don’t wear six-inch heels that you can’t walk in. It really sucks when your feet hurt and you’re carrying your heels all night.

Do charge your cell phone before you go. Nothing sucks more than having a dead cell phone battery, where you can’t update Facebook or Instagram or text or even call a cab when you need one.

Don’t wander around aimlessly looking for a party. Definitely know where you’re going before you head out. If you’re just wandering around, you’re wasting time when you could be having fun. Plan your main stops, but don’t plan the whole night out because what’s the fun in that?

Do bring cash. Going to house parties and bars, it’s always better to have cash than credit cards. Plus cash is easier to carry around with you.

Don’t bring a bunch of extra things with you. Limit yourself to one purse or bag or if you’re wearing jeans, use your pockets. Carry the basic necessities like your cell phone, cash, and ID.

Do try to go out with friends or at least one because you’ll have way more fun. Going to parties alone is asking for trouble and you have a better chance of getting bored.

Don’t forget to take lots of pictures! Just make sure everyone looks sober and nice. No sloppy pictures especially if you’re posting to social media.

IUP St. Patty’s weekend comes once a year so make the most of it! Go out, have fun, and be safe! This is the best time to meet new people and have one of the best weekends of your life!