The Collegiette’s Guide to: Exercising around Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

With the weather beginning to get warmer, it is time to take advantage of the outdoors! In my experience, there is nothing I can’t do in the gym that I can’t do outside. Below is a list of my top 10 favorite butt-kicking outdoor exercises. I promise you won’t be let down. Take a look!

1.)  Burpees

Burpees are the ultimate a**-kicking exercise you can do because it focuses on your lower-body, upper-body and core muscles.

1.) Begin in a standing position
2.) Drop down into a tucked knee position with your hands on the grass or turf
 3.) Kick your feet back as you lower your body into a push-up
 4.) Return your feet to the knee tucked position, straightening your arms
 5.) Jump up as high as you can from the knee tucked position with your arms overhead as if you are trying to touch the sky

2.)    Run or walk up and down the bleachers or use the stairs

This is a great way to tone your butt, thighs and calves because you are running/walking on an incline.

1.)    Start with a light jog up the bleachers to get a feel for it
2.)    When you feel more comfortable, pick up your speed
3.)    Walk/ light jog when you are coming down the bleachers/stairs

[pagebreak]

3.) Suicides

Suicides are a great way to build up your speed and endurance. A tip when doing suicides: make sure you breathe. Do not hold your breath. Doing that will only make you more tired.

1.) Start at the end line on the football field
  2.) Sprint to the 25-yard-line, touch the line with your hand and sprint back to the end line
3.) Touch the end line, sprint to the 75-yard-line, touch the line with your hand and sprint   back to the end line.  
4.) Touch the end line and sprint to the 50-yard-line, touch the line with your hand and spring back to the end line.
5.) When you reach the end line, take a break

If you are feeling energized enough to continue the suicide, try running the entire football field.

1.) Start at the end line, sprint to the 75-yard-line, touch the line with your hand and sprint back to the end line
 2.) Touch the end line and sprint to the 25-yard-line, touch the line with your hand and sprint back to the end line
 3.) Touch the end line and sprint to the opposite end line, touch the line with your hand and sprint back to the starting end line.

4.)    Step-ups using benches

This is also another great exercise for your legs and butt. Find a park bench around campus and use it to your advantage.

1.) Start with your feet together (hands can be on hips for balance)
 2.) Lift your right leg in the air
3.) Place your foot on top of the bench. Make sure your heel touches the top of the bench  first before your toes.
4.) Once your right leg is on the bench, do the same thing with your left leg
5.) Both of your legs should be on the top of the bench
6.) Slowly pick-up your right leg and place it back on the ground. Repeat with your left leg
7.) Try to do 3-sets of 10 reps

5.)    Park bench Triceps dips

This is a fantastic workout for your upper body. It may seem a little difficult at first and really tiring, but the end result is definitely worth the hard work.

1.) Sit on the edge of the bench with your hands placed by your sides with yours palms facing down gripping the edge of the bench
2.) Using your arms slowly raise your body up and lower your body down the bench
3.) Push yourself back up
4.) Slowly lower yourself again
5.) Try to do 2 sets of 12 reps

[pagebreak]

6.)    Bench pushups

Park bench push-ups focus on your chest, triceps, shoulders and core. Unlike a normal push-up where you are starting on the ground, a bench push-up is more effective as it focuses on more muscles in your upper body. Which is awesome!

1.) Stand facing a park bench and place your hands on the seat
2.) Walk your feet out behind you until your legs are fully extended
3.) Bend your arms and lower your chest toward the bench
4.) Then, push-up
5.) Try to do one set of 15 reps

7.)    Planks

Planks are a very efficient way to strengthen your core and your upper body. Do not forget to breathe when you are holding your plank!

1.) Start by laying face down on a smooth piece of grass or on the turf, resting your forearms and fists on the grass or turf
2.) Push off the floor, raising your body up onto your toes and rest on your elbows keeping your back and heels flat
* Do not stick your butt in the air! *
3.) Hold your blank for 20 to 30 seconds

[pagebreak]

8.)    Lunges

Great for trying to get a fab butt!

1.) Start with your feet together (you can keep your hands on your hips for balance)
2.) Lift your leg of choice in the air bending your knee
3.) As you step forward into the lunge, make sure that the downward movement of your   hips is towards the floor. Make sure that your heel touches the ground first before your toes.
 4.) Continue lowering your body to a comfortable position. Your front leg and your back leg should be at least 3 feet apart. If you’re feeling a tight pull in the calf of your back leg you are doing this correctly! Keep your back straight.
5.) Push off with your front leg to return to the upright position in which you started in
6.) Repeat step three using the opposite leg
 7.) Try and 2 sets of 25 reps

9.)    Mountain climbers

Mountain climbers target your leg, feet and core muscles. Be prepared to sweat your butt off! Find a smooth section of grass or turf.

1.) Start with your feet together and your hands by your side
2.) Bend down and put your hands shoulder width apart on the grass or turf
3.) Place yourself in a push-up position
4.) To start, bring your left leg forward to your chest and back to its original position. Your right leg should stay tucked during the forward and back movement of the left leg.
5.) Once, you feel comfortable, switch legs rapidlylike you are “climbing a mountain”
6.) Try to do for 1 minute

10.)    Run or walk on the track

There is nothing better than getting some fresh air after a busy day of classes and work. Instead of using the treadmill at the gym, try running or walking on the track! There are several exercises that you can do on the track that are just as effective as running or walking on the treadmill. Here are my top three!

1.)    Straightaways: Sprint/jog the straight part of the track (0-100 meter), jog/walk the curve part of the track. Continue this around the track.
2.)    Run/walk a mile: Four laps around the track
3.)    Ladders: Sprint 400 meter (one lap), sprint 300 meter (three-fourths of a lap), sprint 200 meter (one-half of a lap), 100 meter (one-fourth of a lap)

What are you waiting for? Now it’s time for you try these exercises out. Get outside and kick each of these exercises’ butts! 

Sources:

www.chatelaine.com- park bench push-ups
www.fit4lifenyc.blogspot.com- steps up on park bench
Hailing from the City of Brotherly Love and Sisterly Affection, Junene is a current student at Indiana University of PA majoring in Journalism. She has three minors consisting of Communications Media, English: Film Studies track, and Religious Studies.She is the founding President/Editor in Chief of IUP's branch of Hercampus.com, and is the Founder/President of the IUP women's organization That's What She Said. She is also a current member of SPJ, ( Society of Professional Journalists) PRSSA (Public Relations Student Society of America), CSCR (Committee for the Study of Culture and Religion) and Vice President of the Religious Studies Club at IUP. She is the sole undergradate member of IUPs' Library Outreach and Marketing Committee and is a member of the Student Advisory Group. Junene is a first generation college student; her favorite film is The Usual Suspects and her favorite book is And Then There Were None, authored by Agatha Christie.