A Collegiette’s Guide to Clear Beautiful Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

As a young woman, I feel that the most important asset to having confidence is clear and healthy skin. I have struggled with cystic acne for a few years and have tried skin regiments and medicines to help clear my acne. I couldn’t find any product that would suit my routine or KEEP my skin clear until I discovered the following 5 tips.

1)     Drink Water*- Doctors recommend drinking a minimum of 8, 8 oz. glasses of water a day. Drinking water promotes healthy kidney and liver functions by flushing the toxins out of your body. Having 8, 8 oz. glasses of water a day promotes healthy liver and kidney function and as an added bonus water hydrates your skin from the inside out. This is the most important beauty tip! 

2)     Moisturize- Year ’round (especially in the Winter) it is a NECESSITY to keep your skin soft and healthy. If you find yourself with flakes or dry patches it is because cold air pulls nearly almost all of the moisture out of your skin. To achieve moisturized skin, it is best to moisturize your face right when you get out of the shower.

If you are acne prone or have normal/combination skin, try using a moisturizer with a salicylic acid base. It hydrates your skin and prevents breakouts. I suggest Clean and Clear Dual Action Moisturizer. For dry/oily skin Clinique makes a fantastic moisturizer called Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion. It provides the perfect amount of hydration leaving your face feel fresh and clean.  

3)     Cleanse your skin- As a woman the most important part of your beauty routine should be cleansing your skin. It is essential that even after a long night of partying that your skin is CLEAN. Leaving your makeup on is detrimental to your skin because your skin will absorb the oils and dirt from your makeup and clog your pores. Guess what? Clogged pores lead to breakouts! And who wants breakouts?! I suggest that you find a 3-way skin cleansing system.

I have fallen in love with Organix Organic Tee Tree and Willow bark system. It is hands down the best series of products I have used on my face. After using the system my skin is clean and moisturized. This product has prevented me from breaking out from the moment I used it. 

4)     Exfoliate- The winter leaves most women with dry, peeling skin. In order to get rid of that skin and make it soft and fresh, it is best to exfoliate. There are many ways to exfoliate your skin. You can use a grainy scrub, oatmeal and water mixture or a lemon and sugar scrub. My recent discovery has been the lemon and sugar scrub. In order to do it you need organic lemon juice, organic sugar and cotton pads. Make sure your face is cleansed from all makeup. Then saturate a cotton pad with lemon juice and put about a nickel-sized amount of sugar on top of the pad.

Bring the pad up to your face and rub your face gently in a circular motion to spread the sugar around. Don’t be too rough or you’ll hurt your skin. Exfoliate where your problem areas are. The lemon juice detoxifies your skin and fights breakouts before they begin. It clears your pores and eliminates blackheads. This is the best exfoliating technique I have tried. Plus, it is very affordable.

5)     Don’t Pick!– If you have a blemish, DO NOT pick at it. Picking at your blemishes is unsanitary, causes more blemishes and leaves a scar. If you pick at your blemish you are setting yourself up for skin disaster. Not only does picking transfer bacteria to the open wound but it also scars. Having a scar on your face because you cannot handle a pimple is not worth it. Try using a benzoyl peroxide acne cream. The benzoyl peroxide goes deep within your pores and eliminates up to 98% of bacteria. Basically, your blemish goes away within a few hours or days.

Well there you have it! I hope that my tips have helped you on your journey to clear skin. I am living proof that these methods work and I promise that they will! Good luck!

*http://www.healthy-skincare.com/benefit-of-drinking-water.html

photos courtesy of better-woman.com & curezone.com 

Hailing from the City of Brotherly Love and Sisterly Affection, Junene is a current student at Indiana University of PA majoring in Journalism. She has three minors consisting of Communications Media, English: Film Studies track, and Religious Studies.She is the founding President/Editor in Chief of IUP's branch of Hercampus.com, and is the Founder/President of the IUP women's organization That's What She Said. She is also a current member of SPJ, ( Society of Professional Journalists) PRSSA (Public Relations Student Society of America), CSCR (Committee for the Study of Culture and Religion) and Vice President of the Religious Studies Club at IUP. She is the sole undergradate member of IUPs' Library Outreach and Marketing Committee and is a member of the Student Advisory Group. Junene is a first generation college student; her favorite film is The Usual Suspects and her favorite book is And Then There Were None, authored by Agatha Christie.