This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

With the Academy Awards being a mere few days away, not all celebrities are walking the red carpet. Some of them such as yoga studio owner, Jill Fiore are being local celebrities.

“A celebrity is someone that has made an impact in the community and lasted,” Fiore said.

In 2003, Fiore received her Ph.D. in Literature and Criticism at IUP. She  chose to stay in Indiana as an online professor and in February 2008 she opened the Sunflower Yoga Studio. With over 10 years in Indiana under her belt and a studio which has impacted the community for the last five years, Fiore has lasted. She is a woman with the personality of “I am Jill hear me roar!”  Based on her open attitude on life, her entrepreneurial skills and being a woman who used her roar from IUP, Jill Fiore is this week’s campus celebrity.

Fiore had been practicing yoga for a long time before she came to Indiana. The art of yoga has helped her relieve stress and relax. After graduating from IUP, she went to her favorite getaway place, Hawaii where she became a certified yoga instructor.

“Yoga is a physical practice but is more connected to helping to focus the mind, becoming more aware with your body and bringing you back to yourself,” Fiore said.

Yoga is more than an “om” chant; it is a way of life that can have many benefits as seen through taking a class at the studio.

[pagebreak]

Opening up the studio was a double win for Jill. Through the studio she’s not only practicing what she loves, she also has a connection with the community and IUP students. 

The studio is located at 580 Philadelphia Street, right next to Fox’s Pizza. There are student specials at the studio which helps motivate the students to come.

“I don’t want to scare anybody,” Fiore said. 

The difference between other gyms and the studio is that the studio is a sanctuary; quiet and relaxing. The programs available include variations of yoga, Zumba, Tai Chi and Belly Dancing. There are workshops available and students can start anytime.

When describing the set-up of the studio, Fiore said she wanteed to make sure everyone was comfortable. You don’t have to be in shape or flexible. You can be a person that has never taken yoga and Fiore and the rest of the Sunflower Yoga Studio staff will welcome you with open arms.

One testimony from the Sunflower Yoga Studio website states, “Every experience I have had at the studio has been wonderful. Jill is friendly and professional, always remembers my name (which is impressive!), and leads class in a way that puts me at ease.” (Visit the site here for more testimonies)

Jill is a wonderful addition to the community and her studio is something people should take advantage of even if it’s to give yoga a try.

Like Sunflower Yoga Studio on Facebook to find more information. Jill is a very open person and willing to talk to anyone.

Images courtesy of Facebook.com