Body Image: Embrace your figure!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

It comes as no surprise that the media can influence our appearance. From fashion tips in magazines to watching commercials on TV about losing weight, the media always has a say in how we should look.

Do you agree? How can you not?!

The media does a d*mn good job at portraying how a woman should look. From her hair, to her make-up, to that perfectly glowing skin and hot body, it may become harder to look at your body and think that you’re just as beautiful as that model or actress on the cover of a magazine.

When looking at a magazine it is normal to feel discouraged. I definitely do. Then I remember, the majority of the women on magazine covers are airbrushed and realistically do not look this perfect on a regular basis.
Britney Spears refused to airbrush her photos for her Candie’s advertisement. According to Marie Claire magazine, Spears wanted girls to know she has imperfections and embraces them. You rock Britney! 

Did you know that the average woman wears a size 12 to 14? According to an article from The New York Times, an average woman weighs 144 pounds.

America’s Next Top Model cycle 10 winner, Whitney Thompson, is not only a successful model, she is also a size 10! She knows how to use her body to her advantage.  Learn what works for you; curves are sexy!

What the media does not tell readers is that 98 percent of fashion models are thinner than the average woman ultimately making it nearly impossible to achieve that wanted image. Does that statistic change the way you feel about yourself? It should.

Models are paid to be thin. If they do not maintain that “perfect” figure the modeling industry thinks is “beautiful” that model may be out of a job. This does not have to be your lifestyle. You are not being paid to become a model, so why not focus on being healthy?

If every girl in the world looked like 98 percent of the fashion models, there would be no diversity. No uniqueness. No desire to want to be different.

You are beautiful. Whether you are a size 2 or a size 14, you are beautiful.

[pagebreak]

Sources:
(Smolak, L. (1996). National Eating Disorders Association/Next Door Neighbors Puppet Guide Book)
marieclaire.com
lifamilies.com

Hailing from the City of Brotherly Love and Sisterly Affection, Junene is a current student at Indiana University of PA majoring in Journalism. She has three minors consisting of Communications Media, English: Film Studies track, and Religious Studies.She is the founding President/Editor in Chief of IUP's branch of Hercampus.com, and is the Founder/President of the IUP women's organization That's What She Said. She is also a current member of SPJ, ( Society of Professional Journalists) PRSSA (Public Relations Student Society of America), CSCR (Committee for the Study of Culture and Religion) and Vice President of the Religious Studies Club at IUP. She is the sole undergradate member of IUPs' Library Outreach and Marketing Committee and is a member of the Student Advisory Group. Junene is a first generation college student; her favorite film is The Usual Suspects and her favorite book is And Then There Were None, authored by Agatha Christie.