#BlackGirlsRock2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

#BlackGirlsRock2015

IUP Black Student League Officers

Black Girls Rock has been a sensation that has been sweeping the nation since the beginning of April. Many girls of colored skin tweet or post a picture with the hashtag #BlackGirlsRock2015. The purpose of this idea is to show girls that just because your skin is darker, you are not any less beautiful or any different from anyone else and you should never hate it! The Black Student League (BSL) of Indiana University of Pennsylvania was no exception to joining the cause. Encouraging women to feel beautiful under their skin is an important message that #BlackGirlsRock and the Black Student League tried to spread through their program.

“Women will leave this program feeling motivated and accomplished knowing black girls can do anything. That is the mission of the Black Student League, being here for the minority students on the campus and having them feel strong, as if they can do anything.” Alonna Cuffe, Vice President

The BSL started their event by having interactive name tags with music playing in the background. They emphasized that students introduced each other in order to make sure the environment was comfortable for everyone. The BSL students later introduced themselves with Alexis Baker as the President and Alonna Cuffe, the Vice-President. The event had different women speak about struggle and overcoming it and also the beauty of being a woman of colored skin.

Hannah Matthews was the first to speak by introducing a beautiful poem talking about motherhood. Malaika Turner, Ph. D., author of “Walking in Steps with God,” was another speaker. Dr. Turner, who is an IUP alumni, spoke about her struggles as an undergraduate, sexual abuse, and overcoming the “standards” and the stereotypes of what an African American woman is in her poem, “I am a Black Girl. ”  Many other women spoken throughout the night as well. The BSL also spoke about how it is okay to be who we are and we should all love each other despite our race and our complexion.

“We may bend, but we will not break!” Malika Turner.

The next, but most important, part of the event was what is called a Vision Board. The BSL had magazines and poster board on top of the table. They wanted people to look through the magazines and cut out anything that you liked or you found meaningful. After picking these things out, you pasted them to your poster board and decorated it how you liked. The goal was to use them for motivation and inspiration for yourself. Many of the BSL officers mentioned the idea that students should continue to fill them up and always look at them when they are feeling down in the future. They had students work on these for about twenty to thirty minutes and had volunteers show off their boards. I found it to be a beautiful and fun idea. So much so that I kept mine and continue to fill it up.

After the event I left empowered, especially after BSL had many of the women of the crowd speak out why they rock! I left feeling like I can take over the world and that I am not different because of who I am. Congratulations to the Black Student League for supporting the cause and reminding women (especially women of color) that they matter and they are much stronger than they believe, who are beautiful and can change the world!

Hey everyone! I'm a senior at Indiana University of Pennsylvania with a History, Pre-Law major and Enlgish minor. I hope you all are enjoying my articles and those of my fellow writers. Follow me on twitter or instagram - jessicavalenx3. Let me know what you would to see on HerCampus and we will always try to accomodate. Thanks and enjoy!