Black History Month & Supporting the Community

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

It’s February, which means it’s Black History Month. Sometimes, it can be difficult to figure out how to support our friends and family who are a part of the black community. I’m going to provide some organizations and ideas to help support our black community this month! 

1. Donate to an organization: There are tons of organizations out there that support our black community. I know, as a broke college student, it is hard to come up with money. But even donating a few bucks would make a difference. 
  2. Support black artists & authors: Take a moment to research and get to know black artists and authors. To acknowledge and support them, maybe read a book or listen to a song. 
  3. Research the history behind Black History Month: Researching the history can help us put our white privilege aside, and take a moment to recognize the importance of Black History Month. 
  4. Support black businesses: If you know of any places that are owned by someone who may be of the black race, go take a visit! Even if you don’t know of any black-owned businesses, research some and spend an afternoon visiting some!
  5. Watch a documentary: If you don’t wanna do research on the history of Black History Month, watch a documentary. They can be found on Netflix, Hulu, or any streaming site. 
  6. Listen to a podcast that highlights the black community: Spotify, YouTube, and Apple Podcasts are some suggestions on where to find any type of podcast. If podcasts are your thing, find one that supports the black community, or one that is done by a person of the black race. 
  7. Advocate on social media: You don’t have to post something 24/7 to support Black History Month, even just posting something on your story can show that you support the community. 
Emily Beyer is a writer at the Her Campus Chapter at IUP. Beyond Her Campus, Emily works at a local elementary schools after school program and oversees a group of K-2 graders. She has been to many professional development conferences to further her studies in education. Emily is a senior at the Indiana University of Pennsylvania majoring in Early Childhood & Special Education. In her free time, Emily loves to write, shop, watch Grey's Anatomy, and listen to podcasts. Also, she enjoys going to the gym and working out as a distraction from her studies.