Being Best Friends With: Your Professor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Some Profs look to be your friend in the classroom. They tell you it’s alright to call them by their first name, they allow you to sit in their next section’s class if you miss yours, and if you’re really lucky, they give you their cell number and insist you text them with any questions you may have.

These types of friendly gestures are okay. They put students at ease and helps build rapport.

What’s probably not okay?

-Having your own key to your Prof’s humble abode.

-Going to dinner or the movies with your Prof.

-Going on vacation with your Prof either alone or with their family

-Skyping your Prof. at 3 in the morning

-Taking shots with your Prof. at an all night Rager

If you’ve done any of those things, you’ve definitely crossed the line with your teacher.

[pagebreak]

But is building a close personal relationship with your educator such a bad thing? Alyssa Berg, senior History major at Indiana University of Pennsylvania thinks so.

“You can be friendly with your professor but being besties is crossing a line,” she said.

Elaine Zedack, senior Hospitality Management and Religious Studies double major at IUP slightly disagrees.

She sees being besties with a Prof a problem, “only if you have a class with them. A lot of people can’t keep it separate,” she said.’

If you’re like Zedack, and think it’s a good idea to befriend your Prof (college is for networking after all) keep in mind that being close can possibly lead to problems in your collegiate career.

For example, your fellow students may be jealous of your relationship; even if you’re working hard for those ‘As,’ some of your peers may not believe it.

“Your professors are there to educate you. When you cross the line to besties you risk favoritism or people thinking that the professor is favoring the ‘bestie’ student, even when they are not,” Berg said.

Also, your other professors may look down on your friendship with their colleague making it harder for you in other classes.

“Others may deem your relationship inappropriate or you may put them [the professor] in an awkward position if they vouch for you in some way and you disappoint them,” said Taylor Pascuzzo, junior Anthropology and Asian Studies double major at IUP.

Another possible issue with befriending a Prof is the possibility that either one of you may want to develop a more physical and intimate relationship.

According to Robert Sowerbrower, senior Religious Studies and Asian Studies double major at IUP, dating your professor can open up a can of worms that could be detrimental to his/her career and your life.

“Crossing that line can lead to irreparable damage to both you and your professors’ reputation, Sowerbrower said. “It should be avoided at all costs. Ultimately you have someone in authority and that just opens the door for them to abuse power and misuse their influence.”

[pagebreak]

Sowerbrower continued, “being a professor, their career should be the most important thing, not trying to scoop up some student. Not to mention the drama that can happen if you breakup. The revenge they can seek can ruin you.”

Befriending your Prof outside of the classroom can be a problem, but there are benefits as well.

“You benefit from their experience, advice and possibly their contacts,” Pascuzzo said.

Sowerbrower also believes that there are benefits to having a Prof friend.

“A benefit is breaking down the academic hierarchy allowing you to see your professor as a person with a history and being able to connect as peers in addition to the student/teacher relationship, Sowerbrower said.

If you’re planning on becoming BFFs’ with your professor, keep in mind the good, the bad and the ugly that may come from it. If you can withstand the heat you’ll more than likely receive, you may gain an enriched college experience.

I think it’s a very important mentorship opportunity,” Zedack said. “They help you develop and grow; they support you; and it’s nice to have an older person’s perspective outside your family.”

Hailing from the City of Brotherly Love and Sisterly Affection, Junene is a current student at Indiana University of PA majoring in Journalism. She has three minors consisting of Communications Media, English: Film Studies track, and Religious Studies.She is the founding President/Editor in Chief of IUP's branch of Hercampus.com, and is the Founder/President of the IUP women's organization That's What She Said. She is also a current member of SPJ, ( Society of Professional Journalists) PRSSA (Public Relations Student Society of America), CSCR (Committee for the Study of Culture and Religion) and Vice President of the Religious Studies Club at IUP. She is the sole undergradate member of IUPs' Library Outreach and Marketing Committee and is a member of the Student Advisory Group. Junene is a first generation college student; her favorite film is The Usual Suspects and her favorite book is And Then There Were None, authored by Agatha Christie.