8 Tips to Make Long-Distance Relationships Work

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

“Going the Distance” with Jason Long and Drew Barrymore is a hit movie about long distance relationships with a sweet and happy ending…but real long distance relationships don’t always end in a “sweetly”. 40 percent of long-distance relationships fail within the first 4.5 months. If that’s true, then are they worth it? Is the relationship worth if you can’t see your boyfriend or girlfriend on a regular basis? Yes, they can be.

But if there’s love, anything can work, right? Wrong! You need more than love to make a long-distance relationship work, love is there, yes but you’re going to need more than that. Long-Distance relationships are hard but can be very rewarding. Here are some tips on how to make it work.

1. Texting
 Everyone is busy nowadays, and texting is quick and easy. Texting is a must in long-distance relationships because you might not get to talk on the phone until later in the evening but with texting, you can communicate and talk all day. Kat Boyd and her boyfriend have been together for 3 years, and she says that texting is a needed necessity.  “My boyfriend and I text all the time. It’s what we do! We send each other love messages or funny things or just tell each other what we’re doing from time to time. It makes me feel like we’re not so far apart.”

2.      Talking on the Phone

Talking on the phone is a must because sometimes you just need to hear the other person’s voice even if it’s for a minute or two. It’s one of the main sources for communicating, and this will really make long-distances relationships work. It can get expensive however, if one of you are overseas, but there are cheaper options like calling cards, Google Voice, and Skype Calling as well.

3.      Phone Sex

As human beings we are sexual—we need sex for survival. When you’re in a long distance relationship, you’re probably not having sex on a regular basis. And sex is one of the main elements on why long-distance relationships don’t last. We want sex, but can’t get it. This is why phone sex is a godsend, if you do it right. Good phone-sex can leave you just as satisfied as the regular thing—especially if you’re a female and use sex toys, and if you’re a male and use an enhancer or special lubrication while doing it.

[pagebreak]

4.      Video-Chatting

A webcam is a needed necessity for dating long-distance. Skype has been becoming increasingly popular nowadays, since people are traveling and such—but it’s also a perfect tool for long-distance relationships. Sometimes, texting or using the phone isn’t enough and you just need to physically see your boyfriend or girlfriend, and this is the perfect format to use. Even if you’re not in the same town, or city or even state, this is a way to see each other every day. You can also do what’s similar to phone-sex, essentially called cyber-sex. Visually getting off is sometimes better than just talking about it.  

5.      Scheduled Date Night

Just because you’re not physically together, doesn’t mean you can’t go on dates. You should schedule a day or a night where you can go on a “date.” You can have a phone date, where you can talk for hours or schedule a Skype date or video-chatting date. Some people who video-chat actually try to make it a real date by dressing up, sitting at a table and eating real food, while talking to one another. It’s really up to you. You can even have movie dates now from a distance if you have Xbox and Netflix. As long as you each have a microphone, you can connect to each other, and watch a movie on Netflix together, and talk to each other via microphone. They even have cute little avatars that show you sitting together in a theatre!

6.      Use Other Technology

There are other types of technologies like emailing and instant messaging that you can use to communicate with each other. Emailing is great if you’re in a long-distance relationship and one of you is overseas because texting and Skype can get expensive at times. And emailing is quick and easy, just like instant messaging.

[pagebreak]

7.      UseSocial Media Sites

Facebook, Twitter, and all those other social media sites are great for long-distance relationships. You can communicate or talk to one another via Facebook message or chat or on Twitter. You can post on each other’s Facebook walls, or upload pictures for each other to see. It can really bring you closer, and keep you two together.

8.       Visit each other

Last but not least, visit each other! Even with all the technology, you still should see each other from time to time. If you live in the same state, try to see each other once a month. If you live in different states, try to meet at an equal distance from one another. Try to see each other at least once every 3 to 6 months if you can. People might think that seeing each other is only once every 3 to 6 months is bad, but when you do get to see each other finally after all that time, you treasure those times even more than you do if you saw them every day. Those days are more special.

Long-Distance relationships aren’t easy, but if you really want to be together, and if you two are meant to be together than it’ll work. If you take into account some of the tips I’ve provided, then there is more than ample chance you two will work out! Don’t stress, remember the rewards!

Sources

Statistichttp://www.statisticbrain.com/long-distance-relationship-statistics
Personal Interview* 

Photos courtesy of:
Travelettes.net
corebloggers.com

Hailing from the City of Brotherly Love and Sisterly Affection, Junene is a current student at Indiana University of PA majoring in Journalism. She has three minors consisting of Communications Media, English: Film Studies track, and Religious Studies.She is the founding President/Editor in Chief of IUP's branch of Hercampus.com, and is the Founder/President of the IUP women's organization That's What She Said. She is also a current member of SPJ, ( Society of Professional Journalists) PRSSA (Public Relations Student Society of America), CSCR (Committee for the Study of Culture and Religion) and Vice President of the Religious Studies Club at IUP. She is the sole undergradate member of IUPs' Library Outreach and Marketing Committee and is a member of the Student Advisory Group. Junene is a first generation college student; her favorite film is The Usual Suspects and her favorite book is And Then There Were None, authored by Agatha Christie.