Life > Academics

7 Things I Wasn’t Prepared For In My Freshman Year Of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

As I finished high school and was preparing to start my freshman year of college back in August, my friends and family were preparing me for a lot of things. I was constantly given advice, and asked how excited I was. At first, I was both excited and nervous, because I honestly didn’t know what to expect. I’ve heard such a mix of both good and bad experiences, so I was excited to see how my college experience would pan out. After finishing my 1st semester, I can definitely say that I was not as prepared as I thought I was. 

The struggle of having a roommate and shared space

The most common thing that you try to prepare for as you’re starting college is finding a roommate. Your roommate is someone you will be with everyday for an entire school year, and who you will be sharing a lot of space with. Everyone has their own experience with their roommate and tends to share the positive side, but the negative aspects aren’t talked about enough. It is perfectly normal to not get along with your roommate, and it is perfectly okay to request a room change if things aren’t working.

First things first. You can room with someone that is a complete stranger or someone who is your best friend, and it can be both awful and amazing at the same time. Sometimes rooming with your best friend is amazing, or it can make you realize that spending everyday together isn’t as amazing as you thought it was. On the other hand, you can room with a complete stranger and make a best friend out of it. Everyone has a different living standard, and it will take some time getting used to. Make sure to set boundaries and to create a positive communication standard between you and your roommate.

Another aspect that isn’t always talked about, is being able to have time outside of the dorm. This is just as important as time inside of it. If you are realizing that you aren’t getting along with your roommate, or if you just need some space, take it. Try to get outside and explore the campus, branch out and see what all is out there. There’s so much more than just what’s inside of your dorm walls.

Being Your own motivator

Something that can take a lot of adjusting to, is the fact that you need to be your own motivator. Your professors and advisors can only do so much. You are in charge of getting yourself to class on time everyday, and it’s your job to make sure you are keeping up with your work.

There are so many resources available to make sure you succeed in your classes, and your major, but if you don’t utilize them and motivate yourself, you will fall behind. It is extremely easy to fall behind, but it can be very hard to catch yourself back up.

A tip that I like to share, is making sure I write all my assignments down in my planner using the syllabus given to me by my professors. Not only do I write my weekly assignments, but they’re written down throughout the entire semester. Something that I like to do to motivate myself a little more, is writing the due date down either a day or two before it is actually due. This allows me to take some of the stress off of myself, because the assignment will be done with plenty of time to review/edit it before the final submission. Doing this also allows for you to meet with your professors if you have any last minute questions.

Time management

Along with being your own motivator, time management is something that you need to learn really fast in college. If you do not use your time wisely, you will be rushing around to finish everything and this can be extremely stressful. Making daily to-do lists or maybe even writing things down on post-it notes is a great tip that I utilize a lot! When I can clearly see everything I need to do, and can see myself completing them, it motivates me to keep going!

Although this is something that has to be personal to your schedule, you should reach out to professors, or even friends if you are struggling. Utilizing the resources around you can be a great way to figuring out how you can tailor your routine to fit your daily schedule.

The library is your best friend

A great way to find motivation to complete your assignments is utilizing your campus’ library. Inside the library there are so many resources that you can utilize, and it allows you to be in an environment that isn’t a classroom or your dorm. I notice within myself that if I am struggling to stay focused a get my work done, I need to take a trip to the library. Whether I stay there for 2 hours, or 5, I get a lot of work done. I highly recommend walking around the library and getting to know the area. Finding a good study spot can help you find that motivation and focus you need to get your work done!

Burnout is extremely common

As a college freshman already experiencing burnout, I feel like this isn’t talked about enough. Everyone always talks about the burnout most honors/advanced students experience in high school, but I rarely see it being talked about in college. As a second semester freshman, I feel like I am experiencing burnout to the max, and I find myself struggling a lot.

Once I got to college, I realized right away that I needed to lower my standards. I need to stop putting so much academic pressure on myself to keep getting such high grades for academic validation. I needed to learn how to study properly, and if I’m being honest, this is still something I struggle with. I’m slowly accepting the fact that I don’t need to keep expecting perfection, because it just isn’t applicable.

Overall, you need to understand that you will receive bad grades. Sometimes you can be putting in so much work and it isn’t paying off, but it will. Eventually all of the work and effort you are putting in will show! It is better to understand the material and score a lower grade than if you are someone who simply knows how to pass the test without actually knowing the material.

Finding good friends can be hard

From personal experience, I can say that this is a huge part of college that I was not prepared for. Most of the time, the people that you meet within the first few weeks will not be your long term friends. Everyone is trying to branch out and find their group, or clique, so everyone is in the same boat. Sometimes you can find people and click with them right away, but other times you may think you click, and you don’t. Give yourself time, and know that the right people are out there. You might not find them right away, but they’re there.

A great way to branch out and meet new people is by joining clubs. I can confidently say that I have found some of the best people I know through the clubs that I have joined on campus. Another way to branch out is to find people to sit with in the dining hall, and your classes. Again, these might not be the friends you end up with, but this is a great way to introduce yourself to new people, who can then introduce you to the people they know!

A huge tip I have, is to not give up. Try to remember that true friends are found in qualities, not quantities. Finding good friends can be hard for most people in college, so just remember that you’re not alone. There will be times when you may feel alone, but you aren’t. True friends come with time, getting to know not just other people but also yourself, and trust. It isn’t always something that can just happen overnight.

Figuring out your true self & your goals

One last huge conversation that isn’t always talked about, is how hard it truly is to figure out your true self in college. This can come in so many different ways for people including your future career, your interests, your sexuality, etc. The person you want to be, may not be the person you are when you first arrive at college. It is extremely common to not fully understand yourself when you start your freshman year. From personal experience, I know how hard it is to realize that your major isn’t right for you, and being stuck trying trying to figure out your future. I have plenty of time to figure out what my career goals are, and my interests, but it is something that brings me a lot of stress and anxiety on a daily basis.

There are so many new experiences and opportunities to figure out who you want to be, but sometimes it can be stressful. With these new experiences can come both positive and negative effects. You can find out you really like one thing, and really hate the other. When you are experiencing these new things, it is important to remember that you have the freedom to try new things, but to also say no.

Along with these new opportunities and experiences, comes resources to help support you through this new transition. There are groups/clubs that you can join, there are mental health resources like the counseling center, and there are specific people out there designed to help you with anything you may need help with.

Overall, your freshman year of college is going to be filled with a ton of new experiences, feelings, opportunities, and so much more. It is important to note that there are so many resources out there to help you, and to remember that you are not alone. You may be going through something that a ton of other people on your campus are also experiencing. Even though you are told to enjoy every moment, not every moment will be enjoyable. There will be times when you are experiencing or feeling something you don’t want to be. Those are the most important times to understand and accept that it is okay to struggle. It is perfectly okay to not know who you are, who you want to be, what you want to do with the rest of your life, etc. Just please remember that there are so many resources and people available that want to help you through this process; that is what they’re there for!

Mikenna McFadden is a member of the HerCampus IUP chapter, and her writing varies across the entertainment aspect of news. Mikenna is also apart of the social media team, where she posts relatable content on the club's TikTok account! At IUP, Mikenna is expected to graduate in the Spring of 2027. In Mikenna's free time she enjoy reading, watching movies, and listening to music. Some of her favorite singers include Taylor Swift, Gracie Abrams, Harry Styles, Renee Rapp, Olivia Rodrigo, Tate McRae, and Noah Kahan! Mikenna is a huge fan of all of these things, and they spark a lot of her inspiration for her articles!