6 Reasons for Your Ex to Stay Your Ex

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

We all have those exes that make us sit down and question ourselves. Yet, sometimes we get lucky enough to stumble upon those relationships we don’t regret. Actually, those relationships tend to be the ones we even ponder running back to at some point or another; and luckily Her Campus IUP is here to rescue you from making that HUGE mistake. It may seem harmless right now, in fact it may even appear to be a good idea, but rest assured; it is NOT.

Her Campus IUP presents to you: The 6 Reasons to NEVER Go Back to Your Ex.

Lights, Camera, ACTION!: Let’s start with what has to be the most obvious reason you should avoid your ex at all costs; the DRAMA. Going back to the same person is all-but-guaranteeing a reappearance of the same past issues. Remember that fight about him going out with his friends all the time? Yeah, well welcome back to that. People who return to a failed relationship are risking precious time to try out something they can almost guarantee won’t work a second time around. Besides, why return to the same arguments when you can have new ones with a new guy?

Old Habits Die Hard: This reason is pretty closely related to the former. Have you ever been in a relationship with someone who had an irritating quirk about them? Of course you have; we all have. People are not perfect in the least bit; not even you. But that doesn’t make it easier to take someone else’s bad habits. We’ve all come in contact with: the burper, the curser, the farter, the thumb sucker, etc. So think really hard about this one. Do you really want to go back to the guy who farts all the time while you guys sit on the couch watching movies? Probably not! Turn back now while you still have a chance.

What About The New Guy?: The best part of a breakup has to be the newfound freedom, so why take away beautiful new opportunities? Running back to your ex may feel like the greatest idea known to man for someone who’s afraid to take risks, but that isn’t you. You’re a daredevil, girl! It’s time to get out there and gaze at all the new prospects you’ve been missing out on. Have you ever seen how many guys walk through the Oak Grove on a daily basis? Your opportunities are endless. Grab that dress that’s been collecting dust in the back of your closet and put those new heels on; get out there and show them what you got.

[pagebreak]

Not Your Kind of Party: Let’s face it, there are some relationships that shouldn’t have happened to begin with. Sometimes we fall into the bait even though we aren’t attracted to someone. It’s okay, you’re not alone if you’ve ever dated someone out of pity. So this should go without saying; don’t fall back into this trap. Dating someone you were never really too fond of seems like something people would never try again, but there are times we feel so vulnerable that we let go of what our mind tells us to do; don’t be that girl. Trust me, no one is going to feel sorry for you the second time around on this one, so stay far away.

You’re Over It: Sit back in your seat and really think hard about this relationship. Is it something you want to return to? If you answered no, great job. If you answered yes, we have a problem. Chances are that if you’re contemplating returning to an ex, you’ve spent a good amount of time apart from one another. Think about all of those days that you weren’t together. Did you think about them all the time? Probably not. Were you as stressed out? Probably not. You’ve already moved on from this relationship and you haven’t even realized how far you’ve come. Going back to an ex can bring back emotional issues that you’ve gotten through without even noticing. Don’t backtrack on your progress, move forward!

Moves to Make: We’re all college students here so clearly we have some type of dreams and/or goals for our future. We want to be successful. I’m sure if I asked everyone where they see themselves in five years in terms of family life, they’d have an idea of what they want for themselves. However, odds are that you and your ex are not necessarily on the same page when it comes to future plans. I mean let’s be honest; most of us are so indecisive anyway, it’s hard to be on the same page as someone else. Sometimes it’s just best to leave that clutter in the past so you can figure out what you really NEED for the future.

Photo Sources:
http://weheartit.com/entry/13752448#
http://ivyleagueinsecurities.com/2010/03/the-ex-factor/

Hailing from the City of Brotherly Love and Sisterly Affection, Junene is a current student at Indiana University of PA majoring in Journalism. She has three minors consisting of Communications Media, English: Film Studies track, and Religious Studies.She is the founding President/Editor in Chief of IUP's branch of Hercampus.com, and is the Founder/President of the IUP women's organization That's What She Said. She is also a current member of SPJ, ( Society of Professional Journalists) PRSSA (Public Relations Student Society of America), CSCR (Committee for the Study of Culture and Religion) and Vice President of the Religious Studies Club at IUP. She is the sole undergradate member of IUPs' Library Outreach and Marketing Committee and is a member of the Student Advisory Group. Junene is a first generation college student; her favorite film is The Usual Suspects and her favorite book is And Then There Were None, authored by Agatha Christie.