This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Friendship is one of the best things in the world. They bring you happiness, comfort, memories, and peace of mind. Sometimes, those friendships become overbearing and are built on foundations that are slowly crumbling. When that friendship becomes too much, walking away may be the only option you have left. It can be messy and involve a lot of unnecessary drama. When one friendship crumbles, many more may follow. Losing someone can be stressful and can trigger extreme emotions. I want to give you 5 of my best tips for getting mover and moving on from a friend breakup. This comes from a personal and very recent event where I had to use these exact ways.   

Be Emotional

When you lose someone, regardless of how, you need to grieve. Holding in your emotions only causes an outburst later. It is okay to cry, scream, get angry, have a meltdown. However, it is not okay to take those emotions out on someone else. You need to understand that being emotional is more than acceptable, but in a healthy and progressive way.

Reach Out To Other Friends

One of the best ways that I coped with losing my best friends was reaching out to other friends that I may have not spent a lot of time with. When you become close with people, you may neglect other friends. This most likely is not on purpose, but reconnecting with these friends can give new opportunities and a better attitude. 

Find A New Hobby

Taking up a new hobby can be a great outlet for the stress and emotions you may be feeling. I started reading a lot more in my newly found free time. It is a way for me to take my mind off of everything going on and escape to somewhere else. Hobbies like painting, crochet, a new sport, gaming, and reading are good examples of hobbies you can take up. You need to make sure that you are progressive with your healing and not turn to negative outlets like abuse of alcohol or drugs. Hobbies create a safe space for your emotions.

Remove Them From Your Social Media

Block them. Delete them. Make sure you have no way to see them and vice versa. This may sound petty, but the saying is “out of sight, out of mind”. When you can’t constantly check their social media presence, it can bring some peace of mind. Stalking their socials can dampen your mood and make you do things you may not have done if you did not see it. Sometimes, this is the best way to move on.

Join A New Organization 

Meeting new people and creating new experiences is a crucial part of the healing process. Get out and join a new organization. I joined three new clubs within the first 48 hours of losing my friends. I knew I would go stir-crazy if I sat at home feeling sorry for myself. Within days of joining these organizations, I have already created new friendships and I am excited to be going out (safely and socially distanced of course) and making new memories. 

Losing a friend or many friends can be hard. It can bring many lonely nights and raised anxiety levels. I used these tips and tricks to help myself grow and move on. Moving on is hard and you may think that your life may never be the same without them, but I promise that it will. 

IUP:)