5 Signs You’re from Western Pennsylvania

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Being from Western Pennsylvania can be a blessing and a curse. It is a place that is unlike any other and the people are one of a kind. Whether you’re from Western Pennsylvania or know someone who is these 5 things often remain true.

You can experience every season in the course of 24 hours.

November is a weird time here. The day could start sunny and warm, but quickly feel like it is going to snow with rain in between. Layers are definitely your friend at this point in time.

You say pop.

I chose a school closer to central Pennsylvania and the debate between pop and soda will probably never end. If you’re from Western Pennsylvania you probably say pop.

You have a lot of different slang.

As a Yinzer, there are a lot of things we say that catch people off guard. One of the biggest things for me was calling a grocery cart a “buggy.”

Pittsburgh sports.

Being from Western Pennsylvania means you probably love Pittsburgh sports and if you don’t you’ve probably been shunned at least once. Black and Gold pride isn’t just limited to Pittsburgh though, the fan base can be found all over.

You love where you’re from.

Being from Western Pennsylvania can caused mixed feelings and often you probably can’t wait to leave. However, you love where you’re from and are proud to call it home—even if it does drive you crazy sometimes.

Danielle Jones is from Jeannette, Pennsylvania--a small town with big pride. As an English, Writing major with a minor is Business Administration she loves words and truly believes in their power. She is currently one of two Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at IUP. In her free time, Danielle enjoys reading, writing, and all things Shonda Rhimes.