This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

What do you want?

We all know that the outfit is one of the best and favorite parts to do. You want it to stand out whether that’s with pastels, neons, shinny, leather or just different patterns. We want to look cute, sexy, put together, and like we have it all. I’m saying you can do all of that with comfort. You just have to think of all the things that come with turning 21, especially if you are going out with your friends. I’m gonna help you each step of the way!

the top

Think about what can be flexible but also perfect and exactly what you are looking for. Now think, ‘Could I have a slip in this?’ ‘Am I going to feel restricted in this outfit?’ ‘Is it easy to get out of at the end of the night?’

What you are going to want to get is something that hugs you if want a more fitted look, but also stretches so you can get it off or when the bloating occurs you do not feel like you can not breathe when drinking. One of the things I would recommend it a top that has a zipper in the back and cotton or stretchy fabric. You can easily get out of it and you don’t have to pull it up over your head. With this option it gets you zip-up corsets or even regular tank tops.

Next for the girls that like a cozy loose fitted look, you can do a sweater, crewneck, zip-up. You want to take into account that when you are drinking, your body temperature is going to go up. Also with the amount of people that are at the bars overall, it’s going to be hot. You are going to want a very breathable material when wanting to go one of these routes.

With both of these options, getting out of them will be a breeze! you aren’t getting trapped and tangled up or overheated.

Bottoms

Bottoms are going to be a little trickier, the most important part is comfort with this option as well, if you end up sleeping in these. If you want to do the most recommended, it’s going to be leggings! They are breathable, comfy and you can dress them up or down. If you are doing a simple top get bedazzled leggings or different colors. These are going to be the top recommended because they are going to stretch with your bladder and also easy to use the bathroom.

Next I would recommend a skirt, with either shorts under or shorts built in. Especially if you are a clumsy girly! They are breathable just like the leggings, just a little more risky of an option. Just like the leggings though, easy for bathroom use and you can do so many different cuts, length, patterns etc.

The last option would be jeans. They don’t let your stomach expand when drinking, and they aren’t breathable unless there are a lot of holes. If you like tight jeans you aren’t going to want to mess with pulling them up and down every 20-30 minutes. Also, if you sleep as soon as you get back who wants to sleep in jeans? If you want to go with this option I recommend going with loose fitting jeans like mom jeans or jeggings.

SHoes

Top pick would be slip on shoes or ones you can get off and on very easily. When you get back you don’t want to be messing with untying your shoes and I don’t think your friends want to be untying your shoes either. You honestly probably won’t be very sober, so messing with shoe laces or if you are thinking of heels trying to get the latch out of tiny hole is a process sober, let alone when you are not. You are going to be standing for a long period of time so you want them to be comfy. If you want to put showy shoes on for taking pictures and then trading in for a different pair when you go out then that’s perfect too.

If you want to wear new pairs that are not broken in yet, be sure to put a bandaid on the back of your ankle before going out. this will help in the long run if you think you’re going to get a blister.

other tips &tricks

1.) Makeup: make sure you have a good setting spray, powder or even waterproof makeup for sweat.

2.) If you have stomach problems take an acid reducer a couple hours before starting and if you want even one the day before.

3.) WATER! Make sure you are getting water throughout the night.

4.) Before you leave for the bar, have a little snack laid out already prepared for you when you get back to where you are staying and even a cute birthday pj set. Obviously easy to get on!

5.) make sure your location is on if you like to wander.

Lexie Shaffer is a new member of Her Campus at IUP chapter. Her writing is going to span across everyday life and tips and tricks to help get started or finding your starting point. At IUP, Lexie is expected to graduating in 2025! She will be graduating with a major in Psychology and Minor in Criminology! Outside of IUP and HerCampus She works for Sally's Beauty, helping people with their hair concerns and questions. In her free time, Lexie likes reading mystery or romance books, playing with her pitty Cookie!