13 Books Every Collegiette Should Read

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

In my almost 20 years of living, I have read a lot of books. I’ve read good books and great books, “eh it wasn’t bad but I probably won’t recommend it to anybody” books, and life changing books–I’ve loved each one for a different reason. These are 13 of those books that I’ve loved so much that I think everyone (especially you!) should read, too. I’ve learned life lessons and felt an incredible range of emotions while reading them, they’ve become a part of who I am now. So, here they are (in no specific order).

1.      Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahnuik. Palahnuik has a very distinct style in his writing. His method is like looking at humanity and the world through a warped mirror and seeing how ugly and terrifying it really is. This novel starts out at the end of the story you will soon come to learn about, and goes from there. There is too much that goes on in this story that I cannot give a summary that would cover each base. Just read it. Please. Your jaw will be dropped the whole time. (Side note: if you’ve ever heard Time to Dance by Panic! At The Disco, this book is just a slightly longer version of that song!)

2.      Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. This is an incredible novel written about a girl in her teens that is dealing with the trauma of being sexually assaulted. This story is real, emotional, and raw and it’s one that every teenage girl should read. It’s a deeply touching plot and mature enough to read even well past the young adult level.

3.      The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. There are no words for how much I love this book. This book so perfectly captures what it’s like to be a teenager and to have mental health issues and it’s so beautiful. It’s necessary to read while you’re young. The movie is great too. It is one of the few screenplays that is almost as good as the book. And if you live in Pittsburgh, it’s necessary to drive through the Fort Pitt tunnels at night into the city blasting Heroes by David Bowie. You will feel infinite.

4.      The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour. This is a great read that’s not only just about self-discovery, but about finding what you want to get out of life. By reading this book you will realize that what you want from life may not be what everyone else wants (and that’s totally okay and acceptable) and how important it is to recognize that.

5.      My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult. Make sure you have a box of tissues because this one’s a tearjerker. This book is incredibly emotional and follows a heartbreaking story about a girl whose sister is dealing with cancer and how far she will go to try and help her sister.

6.      This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald. This story follows a fortunate Princeton student who becomes completely disheartened by what the real world is like after he graduates from college. He comes to find out that real life is way different than the little college world he’s used to. This is another book about “finding yourself” blah blah blah, I know, I get it. But it’s kind of fitting and you will probably resonate with it more than you think you will.

7.      Hamlet by Shakespeare. You probably read this one in high school for your English class and hated it. This is one of Shakespeare’s most famous plays. Here, Hamlet helps us find the answer to that ever-present questions: “To be or not to be?” This story teaches the acceptance of responsibilities for every action we take. Plus, if you read it through No Fear Shakespear, or are just really good at reading between Shakespeare’s lines, Hamlet is actually a pretty funny, raunchy, angsty young man.

8.      Go Ask Alice by Anonymous. Well I guess technically, the author is Beatrice Sparks but it’s written in the form of a diary belonging to a teenage girl who become addicted to drugs. The diarist’s name is never mentioned and no one is actually named Alice but this book is a wild ride from start to finish. This is the story of a girl’s introduction, struggle, recovery, and regression of drug use and the ending will leave you wanting more.

9.      Fight Club by Chuck Palahnuik. Can you tell I love Palahnuik? Anyways, I know you’re heard of this story. And it’s number one rule. In this book, you will meet Tyler Durden and this dark, evil genius of a man and this is only the beginning of his plan for revenge on the whole world. I’m making it sound really dramatic but I can’t really tell you too much, the first rule of fight club is to not talk about fight club.

10.  The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. This is the only novel by famous poet, Sylvia Plath and it tackles the issues of gender and mental health. It’s slightly based off of Plath’s own experience at her all women college and winning a scholarship to work for a managize in New York City. Though the main character seems completely content on the outside, what’s really going on in her head? She experiences a multitude of mental health problems and this story will shed light on the complexity of medical treatment that Americans go through, especially women.

11.  Forever… by Jude Blume. This novel that came out in 1975 was groundbreaking in its discussion teenage sexuality. It is about high school senior, Catherine who experiences her first love, her first sexual encounter, and her first heartbreak. Though a bit graphic at times, this novel will help you come to terms with your sexuality should you be struggling with it.

12.  Everything Sucks But I’m Still Happy by Ari Eastman. This is a book of short essays written by one of my favorite author/poets ever. Eastman has no limits or boundaries and is always raw and real when talking about her life and her struggles. From the time she was little and wouldn’t let anyone “slay” the cardboard dragon at her birthday party, to discussing losing her father and virginity within a month of each other. You will relate to each and every chapter of this book in some way or another in the most magical way.

13.  14,000 Things To Be Happy About, The Happy Book by Barbara Ann Kipfer. This book is just a list of literally 14,000 things to be happy about. Examples include, the taste of cake batter, the art in everyday life, formal terraced gardens, an enchanted cottage, music boxes, brick floors, and the list goes on and on and on. This book is good to read when you need a reminder of how truly happy the little things in life can make you, and how important it is to remember them.