Why Emma Watson is our #WomanCrushEveryday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

If for some reason you have yet to hear about Emma Watson’s HeForShe campaign speech she gave at the UN, let us sum it up for you- She is a boss.

The heroine of the Harry Potter franchise, and Goodwill ambassador for UN women, took to the forum stage to discuss the state of feminism in our world. And according to her, it could use some fine-tuning.

Her speech spoke not only to women in pursuit of gender equality, but also to the men who should be. Watson explained that the topic of equality for the sexes is not just a female issue. Men should want equality not only for their female counterparts, but also for themselves. Men should not have to face common gender stereotypes like being “too sensitive” or “not manly enough”.  Equally, women should not be called too aggressive for being “too strong” or “too independent”.

Watson then extended a formal invitation to all men, asking them to join her campaign to terminate the notion that feminism is a “man-hating” ideal. She claims that women feel like they cannot express their feministic beliefs because of the negative stereotypes that come along with doing so. Watson’s goal is to obliterate those stereotypes and make the word “feminist” one that embodies power and not prejudice. HeForShe focuses on uniting the sexes in an effort to end gender inequality. Like we said, she’s a major boss.

#EmmaWatson2016

Her speech on Saturday is not the first time she has stunned us with her eloquent phrasing and badass ideals. She’s constantly talking about staying true to herself and refusing to conform to stereotypes created by others. That’s why she’s one of our biggest girl crushes ever.

Here are some of our favorite Emma Watson-isms (aka 5 more reasons to add to the long list of why she is our #WomanCrushEveryday)

1,000,000 Points for Gryfindor!!

Check out Emma’s speech HERE and read more about the HeForShe campaign on their website: heforshe.org

Calley Cederlof is a Senior at Indiana University studying Journalism. She is a born and raised California girl, but moved to Indiana to pursue her dreams of becoming a writer , and also because she really likes cold weather (joking). Her loves include fashion, her chihuahua Kevin, and pickles (not joking). When she is not spending her time writing for HCIU, Calley can be found perusing local vintage shops or reading her horoscope whilst sipping a very strong cup of coffee. She hopes to one day live in New York City, reside in a shoebox of an apartment and live life the way Carrie Bradshaw would want her to: writing her little heart out and keeping sweaters in her stove.